Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS failing to access wifi after upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur

Hi.

I have a MacBook Pro 15inch Retina (Mid 2014) laptop and have been facing wifi connection issues every time that I upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur.

I have tried this 3 times and all 3 times my wifi fails to connect.

If I check on the Wifi preferences, and tried to recreate a new wifi configuration etc. I have also tried the method of backing up and deleting the network files located in : /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, and still to no avail.

Is there any way of resolving this? Please help!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 10:13 AM

Have you tested this on another Wi-Fi network?

This test to see if the problem is local to one Wi-Fi network, or more likely local to the Mac.

Also see what Wireless Diagnostics report, if that’s not already been tried:

Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

If your Wi-Fi is configured to use MAC (MAC, as differentiated from Mac) authentication, try disabling that and testing.

Insecure Wi-Fi security (unencrypted, WEP, WPA, WPA2 TKIP) settings should cause a Mac running newer macOS to display some grumbling, but will not block Wi-Fi network connects. WPA2 AES, WPA2/WPA3 transitional, and WPA3 are preferred by Apple.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2021 10:13 AM in response to roytendai

Have you tested this on another Wi-Fi network?

This test to see if the problem is local to one Wi-Fi network, or more likely local to the Mac.

Also see what Wireless Diagnostics report, if that’s not already been tried:

Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

If your Wi-Fi is configured to use MAC (MAC, as differentiated from Mac) authentication, try disabling that and testing.

Insecure Wi-Fi security (unencrypted, WEP, WPA, WPA2 TKIP) settings should cause a Mac running newer macOS to display some grumbling, but will not block Wi-Fi network connects. WPA2 AES, WPA2/WPA3 transitional, and WPA3 are preferred by Apple.

macOS failing to access wifi after upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.