Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is a JPEG so much smaller than the iPhone sensor size?

The iPhone SE image sensor size is 12MP. However when I take a photo, the image size of the JPEG is usually around 2048x1536 pixels, which is 3.1 Mega Pixels. Why are the photos only 25% of the total capacity of the image sensor? Is this normal, or is there a setting somewhere that may be set incorrectly?

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 1:05 PM

Hi there, Mystery solved!

I am taking the photo on my iPhone, then editing it on my Mac. I have now confirmed that in Photos on my Mac the images are full resolution (eg 3000x4000 pix).

I was then accessing iCloud photos via Chrome on a PC. It seems that when you download a photo from iCloud to the PC, it downloads as a reduced size JPEG. If I access iCloud photos on a Mac and download, it's a full resolution HEIC.

Not sure why this is, but that is the observed behavior.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 1:05 PM in response to faith185

Hi there, Mystery solved!

I am taking the photo on my iPhone, then editing it on my Mac. I have now confirmed that in Photos on my Mac the images are full resolution (eg 3000x4000 pix).

I was then accessing iCloud photos via Chrome on a PC. It seems that when you download a photo from iCloud to the PC, it downloads as a reduced size JPEG. If I access iCloud photos on a Mac and download, it's a full resolution HEIC.

Not sure why this is, but that is the observed behavior.

Oct 5, 2021 11:54 AM in response to Rob Broadbent

Hey Rob,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're seeing a discrepancy between the image sensor size of your iPhone and the out coming photo.

Where are you viewing the photos when you notice the smaller image size? Do you use iCloud Photos on your iPhone? If so, this may be expected. Your photos will be stored in iCloud in their original format and space-saving versions are kept on your iPhone. You can find information about this setting from Set up and use iCloud Photos.

Have a great day!

Why is a JPEG so much smaller than the iPhone sensor size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.