Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcasts keeps opening on watch—I want Now Playing to open

Before the watchOS 8 update, I would use Now Playing to control audio playback for Music, Podcasts, Patreon. The only time the Podcasts app would ever open on my watch is if I tapped it by accident.

Now... Podcasts opens alongside Now Playing, and I can't figure out how to stop Podcasts from loading. If I close Podcasts, it reopens. I did find the setting under Display & Brightness > Auto-Launch Audio Apps, which would presumably stop Podcasts from opening (but would also stop Now Playing. Not ideal).

If I tap the little Now Playing icon at the top of the watch face, it inexplicably opens Podcasts.

Now Playing also seems stuck on defaulting to controlling what's on the watch. My content is always coming from the phone.

There don't seem to be a way to configure settings for Now Playing.

I'm going to turn off Auto-Launch Audio Apps for now, but if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 8

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 5:45 PM

2 replies

Podcasts keeps opening on watch—I want Now Playing to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.