Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple maps satellite out of date

how often do apple maps update satellite images

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 9:26 AM

I’m glad I’ve seen your post. I’m perplexed that Apple Maps satellite imagery near where I live is pretty up to date on my 5 year old iPhone running iOS 15 & my 7 year old iPad running iOS 12.... but on my 1 month old iPad mini also running iOS 15 it is showing much older imagery. I did wonder if it might update itself but it hasn’t. Makes zero sense to me!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2021 9:26 AM in response to mheidtman

I’m glad I’ve seen your post. I’m perplexed that Apple Maps satellite imagery near where I live is pretty up to date on my 5 year old iPhone running iOS 15 & my 7 year old iPad running iOS 12.... but on my 1 month old iPad mini also running iOS 15 it is showing much older imagery. I did wonder if it might update itself but it hasn’t. Makes zero sense to me!

Nov 2, 2021 3:23 PM in response to Chris CA

Sorry, MichelleT18, but your response doesn’t rate a “Solved” check mark. The issue was that Apple’s satellite imagery is seriously out of date, and the link you pointed to for reporting issues with maps offers no options for reporting years-old imagery. For some reason, recent updates have actually resulted in Maps displaying older images than earlier versions did. In many cases, Apple Map is currently displaying satellite imagery five years older that those on Google Maps, and those are typically a few years old already.

Oct 5, 2021 3:09 PM in response to DFM_2004

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities dylantechman,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let’s take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight. Apple actually has a link right in the Maps app to report an issue if you find one. You can follow the below link for instructions on letting them know.

If Maps isn't working on your Apple device

If you need further assistance after following the link above, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Dec 29, 2021 8:00 AM in response to jean-pierre69

jean-pierre69 wrote:

Why is this marked as solved? The link provided doesn’t give you a solution to this problem.

Because the original poster is the only one that can mark a reply as helping or solving their question. So, at the time of the reply, the OP determined it answered their question. Additionally, posting here does not get information to Apple. This is a user to user support forum and Apple does not participate here for information. The way they get information from users is with the feedback link. If you wish for Apple to see your comments/complaints/suggestions about their products, use the feedback link here, Product Feedback - Apple and you can report mapping issues directly from the Maps app.

Dec 28, 2021 3:23 PM in response to JPT4531

Agreed. Additionally apps that use Apple Maps data and maps are now showing much more update satellite images than the actual maps app.

The perfect example is FlightRadar24…. Open the app and take a look around LAX, specifically nearby at SoFi Stadium, and you’ll see it’s fairly recent as the stadium construction is complete.

Now open Maps and look around LAX and SoFi Stadium, or at least the empty lot and dirt for the future SoFi Stadium.

How are 3rd party apps getting most recent maps data and not the maps app??

Apple maps satellite out of date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.