Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting boundaries for a formula result within formula

I fired up Backyard Football 2002 on ScummVM earlier this week and decided to track my season stats in Numbers... they're all pretty straightforward except one–passer rating.

tl;dr there's an official, very specific formula used by the NFL that requires four calculations for a formula to produce a number from 0 to 158.3. (Here's a link with a calculator for the official passer rating formula.) I'm looking for help because there's a few conditions to calculating it and I don't know how to integrate them into a Numbers formula.

...So what are the conditions?

• If any of the four numbers turn out to be greater than 2.375 (why that specific? dunno–ask the NFL), then they should be capped at 2.375.
  • If any turn out to be less than 0, they should be defaulted to 0.

Anyway, is there a way to do this within a formula in Numbers? If so, how? I'll continue in a second post with what I've got so far and a few more details.

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 12:04 AM

Here's my results through 3 games of a 14-game season. The stats given are only the ones relevant in passer rating calculation, plus the raw results for each step in the calculation process. (I formatted the non-whole-number columns as single-digit decimal numbers instead of keeping them Automatic for simplicity's sake.)

Where columns H-K (RtgA, RtgB, RtgC, and RtgD) are the four inputs used in the final calculation, column L (Rtg/6) is the sum of those four divided by 6, and column M (FinRtg) is that result multiplied by 100–the actual Passer Rating. You can see that every result from B, C and D (columns I-K) except one is outside the boundaries of the valid PR input rules (0≥x≤2.375) and that throws everything off.

My current formulas for inputs (using first line as example)

RtgA = (($B2÷$C2)−0.3)×5

RtgB = ($E2−3)÷4

RtgC = ($F2÷$C2)×20

RtgD = 2.375−(($G2÷$C2)×25)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 12:04 AM in response to DreamOnMan92

Here's my results through 3 games of a 14-game season. The stats given are only the ones relevant in passer rating calculation, plus the raw results for each step in the calculation process. (I formatted the non-whole-number columns as single-digit decimal numbers instead of keeping them Automatic for simplicity's sake.)

Where columns H-K (RtgA, RtgB, RtgC, and RtgD) are the four inputs used in the final calculation, column L (Rtg/6) is the sum of those four divided by 6, and column M (FinRtg) is that result multiplied by 100–the actual Passer Rating. You can see that every result from B, C and D (columns I-K) except one is outside the boundaries of the valid PR input rules (0≥x≤2.375) and that throws everything off.

My current formulas for inputs (using first line as example)

RtgA = (($B2÷$C2)−0.3)×5

RtgB = ($E2−3)÷4

RtgC = ($F2÷$C2)×20

RtgD = 2.375−(($G2÷$C2)×25)

Setting boundaries for a formula result within formula

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.