Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Recovery Mode

I can't get into Recovery Mode on my Intel Mac mini 2018 running Big Sur 11.5.1. I tried restarting and pressing Command-R, and it displays a screen with picture of a lock and requests a password. I type my password and it does nothing. I'm trying to restore my boot disk from a backup. I've done Recovery procedures in the past with little trouble, but this is frustrating. It doesn't seem to work as it did in the past.

Suggestions welcome.

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 3:25 AM

Set a firmware password on your Mac

5 replies

Nov 1, 2021 2:18 AM in response to dale228

The Firmware Password locks the Drive from booting and loading the operating system. Even if FileVault is engaged on the computer.

A Firmware Update is much different. Usually it is included in an update or upgrade of the Operating System. Further, if a BOOT ROM is installed - it would not be obvious to the User and it is all done behind the scenes by the OS.

Help with Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.