Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

back up

How can I delete back up disk and make a new one?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 1:48 AM

With the drive in question directly attached to the computer

Open Disk Utilities

1 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

2 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

3 - Look for the Name of the External Drive - example Samsung, Western Digital, etc.

4 - That is the drive to Erase and Format as APFS / GUID Partition Map ( for Big Sur usage ) or for Catalina and below- HFS Journaled and GUID Partition Map.

5 - Once formatted - ALL DATA on the Drive is Lost forever.

6 - Now, Start the Time Machine Backup Application and it should offer to use the newly formatted drive for that purpose - Time Machine Backup

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 1:48 AM in response to medhatelturkey

With the drive in question directly attached to the computer

Open Disk Utilities

1 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

2 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

3 - Look for the Name of the External Drive - example Samsung, Western Digital, etc.

4 - That is the drive to Erase and Format as APFS / GUID Partition Map ( for Big Sur usage ) or for Catalina and below- HFS Journaled and GUID Partition Map.

5 - Once formatted - ALL DATA on the Drive is Lost forever.

6 - Now, Start the Time Machine Backup Application and it should offer to use the newly formatted drive for that purpose - Time Machine Backup

Oct 13, 2021 1:56 PM in response to medhatelturkey

Am sorry but the original quest was to Delete a Backup Drive to make a new one. There was a supplied method to perform that action.

One asked as to how to format the External Drive to be used on Windows. That too was offered a solution.

Now - the user wrote " Thanks a lot, but I have delete the hard with my Mac through disk utiility and now it is not readable on windows. " - where is this all going ??

back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.