Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook pro won't connect to unsecured wifi..

M1 MacBook pro won't allow me to connect to wifi in places other than my home, I receive an "unsecured network" message and no way to allow it or override it. This is an issue as I travel for work and want to be able to connect anywhere I can.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 6:43 AM

Rjper wrote:

M1 MacBook pro won't allow me to connect to wifi in places other than my home, I receive an "unsecured network" message and no way to allow it or override it. This is an issue as I travel for work and want to be able to connect anywhere I can.

>System Preferences>Network>Advanced>WiFi make some change

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple ...

Manage the Wi-Fi connection on your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 6:43 AM in response to Rjper

Rjper wrote:

>System Preferences>Network>Advanced>WiFi make some change

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple ...

Manage the Wi-Fi connection on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 6, 2021 10:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you, that was good to read. unfortunately it doesn't help me understand how to connect to public wifi's outside of my home. I am only having this issue on this new laptop with the M1. It says the network is unsecured and then it will not allow you to do anything else, it won't allow you to connect even if you are ok with it. Its very frustrating

Oct 6, 2021 11:15 AM in response to Rjper

Unsecured network" is supposed to be just a warning, and should not prevent you from connecting.

However, if you have installed invasive third-party anti-virus or unnecessary VPN software, it typically installs itself in the network and interferes with everything. These packages are a MENACE on the Mac.

The litmus test is to restart in safe mode, and attempt to make the connection is Safe mode. "works in Safe mode, not in regular mode" implies "it's something you added".

M1 MacBook pro won't connect to unsecured wifi..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.