Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High CPU usage during anything with video conferencing (specially camera or screen sharing)

I have been having a high CPU issue usage for some time, and managed to zero in on it via the usage of the camera on the computer. I first started having high cpu usage due to some weird kernel_task that suddenly shoot the CPU to 1000% use (seriously Apple?). After some time researching and testing, ANYTHING that has to do with either the camera, screen sharing or any type of exertion on the CPU, causes that thing to flare up.

Once I stop using Camera/Screen sharing, a couple of minutes later, it dies down. This happens on Zoom, GoToMeeting, Google Meet and Microsoft Teams.

I have a Macbook Pro (16 inch, 2019) with a 2.4Ghz i9 and 32 Gb of RAM. Sometimes feels like I'm using a 486 with a toaster oven attached.

Provided I dished out a hefty sum to get this replacement Mac (my previous one tanked due to a hard drive problem), I would appreciate the support folks to look into this at their earliest convenience. I am NOT looking forward to an upgrade, LED bar already died on me on this thing. I just need the issue with the camera resolved, which I see is a big issue for several users. I am NOT looking forward to buying an external camera, which I have read is a workaround.

Thanks in advance,

V

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 12:55 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

High CPU usage during anything with video conferencing (specially camera or screen sharing)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.