Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does factory reset automatically update iOS?

If I have a device running iOS 14.8, and I want to factory reset it, will it automatically be updated to iOS 15 after reset? I don’t want to update this device to iOS 15 until they sort out some of the bugs, and was wondering if it prompts me to update after reset, or just updates it to 15.0.1 anyways. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 4:06 PM

edcarley Said:

"Does factory reset automatically update iOS?: If I have a device running iOS 14.8, and I want to factory reset it, will it automatically be updated to iOS 15 after reset? I don’t want to update this device to iOS 15 until they sort out some of the bugs, and was wondering if it prompts me to update after reset, or just updates it to 15.0.1 anyways. Thanks!"

-------

Yes.

1. Seee Here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to Factory Settings - Apple Support
  2. As it reads: "A factory restore erases the information and settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod and installs the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or iPod software."
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 4:06 PM in response to edcarley

edcarley Said:

"Does factory reset automatically update iOS?: If I have a device running iOS 14.8, and I want to factory reset it, will it automatically be updated to iOS 15 after reset? I don’t want to update this device to iOS 15 until they sort out some of the bugs, and was wondering if it prompts me to update after reset, or just updates it to 15.0.1 anyways. Thanks!"

-------

Yes.

1. Seee Here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to Factory Settings - Apple Support
  2. As it reads: "A factory restore erases the information and settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod and installs the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or iPod software."

Does factory reset automatically update iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.