Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What VPN should I get for my MacBook Air (early 2015) Model?

Need successful VPN recommendation for my MacBook Air and Imac too.. I tried one and it didn't work. I'd appreciate good suggestions please. Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 6:32 PM

9 replies

Oct 6, 2021 7:48 PM in response to Connie141

Connie141 wrote:

Thank you for telling me this. I had no idea. I'll look up iCloud+ and Private Relay. Never heard of it. I think my neighbor may know how to get into my wifi. I'm not sure if that's even possible but he knows things I email so it's creeping me out.
Any thoughts on how easy it is for a neighbor to do so? Thank you so much!

Older Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi with weak passwords can be accessed, yes.

If your router has newer firmware available, update it now.

If your router is older and lacks WPA2 AES, replace it.

If the router lacks WPA3 and security is a concern, consider replacing it with a model supporting WPA3 and Wi-Fi 6 connections; the current versions.

For the Wi-Fi router configuration, select a long and robust Wi-Fi password. If you’re not going to use a generated Wi-Fi password, and will be using a phrase, then go longer; twenty or more alphanumeric characters.

Select WPA2 AES, WPA2/WPA3 transitional, or WPA3 security, and that in order of increasing security. No WEP, no WPA, no WPA2 TKIP.

Disable WPS, if your router supports that.

If you have guests using your Wi-Fi for whatever reason, either don’t allow them access, or set up a guest network if your Wi-Fi permits that.

Older Wi-Fi gear—both the router, and the clients—might not or will not support newer security.

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Generally…

Too many of the add-on “security” tools can be shady, and can serve as a means to collect marketable data on the apps’ users. Too many VPNs tend to be shady as previously linked, and one of the well-known add-on Mac anti-malware packages was found selling personally-identifying data and wen purchase history data.

Other info…

About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

All of your network connections should already be using SSL/TLS, so these are already encrypted. SSL/TLS connections are effectively VPNs, without a stop at some intermediate and third-party-controlled VPN server somewhere.

What VPN should I get for my MacBook Air (early 2015) Model?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.