Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Messages

I have messages saved "forever" in my settings, but suddenly they are gone. I cannot find them in my cloud. Any input is appreciated. Iphone 12 pro. (I'm a new apple user) Thanks

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 7:30 AM

You would not be able to recover text messages in iCloud whether you sync messages with iCloud or if you backup messages with iCloud. If you sync messages with iCloud, and they have disappeared from your phone, they will not be in iCloud either. That’s the way syncing messages with iCloud works,

If you include messages in your iCloud backups, you can’t see them in iCloud but you can restore a backup that includes those messages. Restoring a backup overwrites the current contents of device, so that is something to keep in mind should you decide to try it.

This explains how to restore a backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 7:30 AM in response to flipper2021

You would not be able to recover text messages in iCloud whether you sync messages with iCloud or if you backup messages with iCloud. If you sync messages with iCloud, and they have disappeared from your phone, they will not be in iCloud either. That’s the way syncing messages with iCloud works,

If you include messages in your iCloud backups, you can’t see them in iCloud but you can restore a backup that includes those messages. Restoring a backup overwrites the current contents of device, so that is something to keep in mind should you decide to try it.

This explains how to restore a backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Text Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.