Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up old/ activate new iphone

I can't access my old phone to do an iPhone backup. I do know it was backed up a few days ago. Any reason I need to back up again before activating our new phone? Does the old phone need to be powered off before we switch?

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 12:54 PM

You do not have to make a current backup to activate your new iPhone. You do not need a backup file to activate the iPhone. What you need the backup file for is to restore your new iPhone from that backup so that all your data is transferred to the new iPhone.

If you use the backup created a few days ago and restore that to your new iPhone, then your new iPhone will have data from those few days ago. Any data/activity that was performed since that backup date will obviously not be transferred to the new iPhone.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 12:54 PM in response to art_guy

You do not have to make a current backup to activate your new iPhone. You do not need a backup file to activate the iPhone. What you need the backup file for is to restore your new iPhone from that backup so that all your data is transferred to the new iPhone.

If you use the backup created a few days ago and restore that to your new iPhone, then your new iPhone will have data from those few days ago. Any data/activity that was performed since that backup date will obviously not be transferred to the new iPhone.

Axel F.

Back up old/ activate new iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.