Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brother gave me his old Macbook Pro to use since he is not using it so I would like to wipe his credentials and add mine. Please help

My brother gave me his old Macbook Pro to use since he is not using it so I would like to wipe his credentials and add mine. Please help because I cant update the software and I need to install a few apps for work but each time I get asked for an administrator username and password but it never works.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 4:24 AM

You should ask your brother to do this => What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 8, 2021 4:01 PM in response to asanda97

Or if your brother is only loaning you the computer, then he should create a new admin user account for you to use in order to keep your data separate from his. Of course if he is only loaning the computer and doesn't want you to make unapproved modifications, then he will only give you a Standard user account meaning your brother will need to install any new software.

If the apps that need updated were purchased from the App Store, then only your brother will be able to provide the authentication since App Store apps are tied to the AppleID which downloaded & installed them.

My brother gave me his old Macbook Pro to use since he is not using it so I would like to wipe his credentials and add mine. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.