Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a Child to Family Share that Already has an Apple ID

How can I add my child that already has an Apple ID to Family Sharing without creating a new Apple ID? When inviting the Apple ID to Family Sharing in the traditional method, the only category for the account that is available after accepting is Adult/Parent. However, when you select "Create Account for a Child" and go through the process, you have to create a new Apple ID. That seems to be unnecessary if they already have account. Is there a solution for Apple IDs that already exist for children?

iPhone SE

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 5:58 AM

Children under 13 can’t create an AppleID on their own.

You’ll need to send an invite to whoever DID create your child’s AppleID “inviting” the child into YOUR family.

THAT family organizer must then “accept.”

See details here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201080

5 replies

Oct 8, 2021 5:59 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Correct. The Apple ID account is already created. When I go to add that account to family sharing, there is no option for a Child category but only to add a Child Account. When you add the Child Account, it asks you to create a new Apple ID. I don't need a new Apple ID though. I just want to add the current Apple ID to Family Sharing but in the Child Category. I can't seem to find a way around it though.

Adding a Child to Family Share that Already has an Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.