📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery Key vs. Account Recovery

Hi - I am trying to decide the safest way to protect, yet be able to retrieve, my iCloud data in the event of loss, theft, or damage to a trusted device(s). I've been trying to read up on the pros/cons between using a Recovery Key vs. the Account Recovery process, but am honestly confused. Recovery Key seems riskier (must have at least one of your trusted devices with you?), but also less of a pain (doesn't take 1-2 weeks like Account Recovery?). Any recommendations here? thanks.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 8:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 9:29 AM

Compare these, plus a new way to aid in recovery:

How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support

A Recovery key is more specific and I am guessing faster, but you have to be an organized person since if you lose the key you don't have options. I see not infrequent posts here from people who have lost their keys. So it's really up to you to decide on how careful you are.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2021 9:29 AM in response to jszrules

Compare these, plus a new way to aid in recovery:

How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Set up an account recovery contact - Apple Support

A Recovery key is more specific and I am guessing faster, but you have to be an organized person since if you lose the key you don't have options. I see not infrequent posts here from people who have lost their keys. So it's really up to you to decide on how careful you are.

Recovery Key vs. Account Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.