Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update my old iPad or purchase a new one?

I have an antique iPad to I need to update so that I can watch movies do I update this iPad and if so how expensive or do I buy new and if so how expensive what would you do I'm 73 I don't like to play with these toys

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 11:58 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2021 12:40 PM in response to Sandyaway

A new 10.2 inch, WiFi ONLY iPad with 64 GBs of internal storage ( approximately 48 GBs of actual, usable internal data storage ) is selling from Apple now for $329.

It is a bigger screen from the iPad you have now.

Should be more than sufficient for your needs.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-10.2/

iPad 10.2-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

Buy iPad 10.2-inch - Apple

Best of Luck to You!

Oct 9, 2021 12:48 PM in response to Sandyaway

It sounds like the hardware in your iPad is not going to support any further iOS updates. If you are not able to do what you want to do with your iPad without updating the iOS, then you are going to have to get a new one. There is no way to upgrade the hardware on an iPad, once they become obsolete then the only thing you can do to get them to run the more up to date software is to purchase a new one. If it does do what you want it to do and you don’t need to update anything then you should be fine still using it, however, I would suggest getting a new one if you want to be able to more with it.

Oct 8, 2021 12:04 PM in response to Sandyaway

I would say to just get a new one.

iPads are not very upgradable in that they hit a point where their operating system can no longer be updated.

This is a good time of year to get a new device due to expected holiday sales and specials.

You can probably get a new ipad for less than $500, and possibly less than $400 depending on the model

If you’re just going to surf and watch movies, you probably don’t need the power and price of an iPad Pro, an average model should work for you.

If you have an apple store near you you can go in and talk to someone there and have them give you some advice, or other electronics stores like Best Buy or Target may also have employees that can help guide you to a good model for your needs.

Should I update my old iPad or purchase a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.