Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Board Failure after OS update

I was tring to update my macbook pro to BigSur 11.6 from 11.5 and after lot of downloading and installing error I finally completed process on the 5th go. And the next time I opend my mac its just a black brick, it only works after SMC restart. I visited the service center and the told that its Logic Board issue and need to change it. How this issues occurs after updation? Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 5:29 AM

A logic board failure happening after and upgrade is just coincidence. It also happened after a lot of other things too. You can't always say the last thing that happened before a failure is the cause of the failure.

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 9, 2021 5:48 PM in response to kunalkuray

I've heard reports from a well respected Mac repair person who says that it appears that some macOS updates can corrupt the firmware on the SMC or T2 chips as he has heard similar stories from users. Since he actually performs repairs to the Logic Board he knows what he is talking about since he has to replace these chips which have firmware in them (he has also mentioned there was no signs of liquid damage).

If you have a 2018+ model with the T2 security chip, then you can try "Reviving" or "Restoring" the T2 firmware, but if this is not possible or it does not help, then a Logic Board replacement is your only option.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2021 7:45 PM in response to HWTech

Mine is 2017 model !!! I visited service center and got this reply :

Issue Observed by technician: checked the macBook macBook is not powering on 2.Screening Report: VMI passed there are no liquid content on macBook 3.Test Result of Apple: unable to done AST2/MRI test due t macBook is not powering on 4.Diagnosis Report- re-fix all connection same issue persist, trying to hard reset same issue persist, SMC/PRAM done same issue persist, issue found with MLB and touch id hence need to replace MLB and touch id.

Logic Board Failure after OS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.