Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari keeps sharing sites between devices, even though I have sharing turned off

I must be doing something wrong. I have sharing for safari turned off (Settings...accounts...iCloud) on both my macBook (Big Sur) and iPad (15.X), yet whenever I visit a webpage on my iPad it gives me a notification on my macBook (the safari icon gets the little iPad added to it and if I click on it, it opens the page).

How do I turn this off?

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 10:40 AM

Hi G_Luv,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that you'd like to prevent Safari sharing sites between your iPad and MacBook. You've done a great job so far! We're here to help.

It sounds like you have Handoff enabled on your Mac. This feature allows you to work on an app on one device and continue your work with another nearby device. To turn this feature off on the Mac go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > General > Deselect " Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices". Take a look at the following resource for more information on this feature: Use Handoff to continue tasks on you other devices

Have a nice day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 10:40 AM in response to G_Luv

Hi G_Luv,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that you'd like to prevent Safari sharing sites between your iPad and MacBook. You've done a great job so far! We're here to help.

It sounds like you have Handoff enabled on your Mac. This feature allows you to work on an app on one device and continue your work with another nearby device. To turn this feature off on the Mac go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > General > Deselect " Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices". Take a look at the following resource for more information on this feature: Use Handoff to continue tasks on you other devices

Have a nice day!

safari keeps sharing sites between devices, even though I have sharing turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.