Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro Max micro scratch on screen

Hello,

I've got a random micro scratch on my iPhone 13 Pro Max screen and I've only had it for 3 weeks. I'm totally confused as to where it came from as the phone has always been by my bed side and I haven't actually taken it out or used it much yet.

Anyways I wanted to ask if anyone knows how to fix this? It's very odd.

The scratch is only visible when the screen is turned off and you tilt it at an angle; so you are unable to see it at all when the screen is awake.

See picture attached.

Kind regards,

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 12:36 AM

I have owned several iPhones since the iPhone 2. This is the only version that these scratches appear on. The new "surgical grade" screens, while supposedly tougher (I haven't put that to the test yet), scratch much more easily. If the screens are so flawed that they need a protector, it should come with one, rather than asking customers who have paid £1,000 for a phone to stump up an additional £50 to avoid something that shouldn't happen in the first place.

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2021 12:36 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I have owned several iPhones since the iPhone 2. This is the only version that these scratches appear on. The new "surgical grade" screens, while supposedly tougher (I haven't put that to the test yet), scratch much more easily. If the screens are so flawed that they need a protector, it should come with one, rather than asking customers who have paid £1,000 for a phone to stump up an additional £50 to avoid something that shouldn't happen in the first place.

Nov 7, 2021 7:13 AM in response to SouthFlorida916

So I wake up this morning to a TON of replies about people super happy that they bought a screen protector that solved their scratch problem. One user that doesn’t think it’s a problem because it doesn’t affect functionality??!!! Seems suspect to me that people who paid 1300-1500 for a piece of technology are just peachy with this problem. Makes me wonder if apple may have people answering comments. I don’t like screen protectors. It’s not the same user experience as having a screen without one. I did not need one on my 8., which I had for yearsI DO on my 13, which I’ve had for a couple weeks. Poor quality. Not impressed.

Oct 10, 2021 10:43 AM in response to luenic luke

Dust can easily contain micro-grains of quartz. Just wiping your iPhone screen free of fingerprints with a cloth of any kind could have had a micro-grain of quartz dust. When I get a new iPhone, I don't turn it on or touch the screen until I've got a good screen protector on it.

This year, I went with a $50 Zagg full screen protector. It's so strong, anti-microbial and blue light blocking. Did I need to spend that much. No, of course not. Just protecting the screen is the most important part. Apple sells and installs in the store Belkin Screen protectors. They're high quality and cost about $35. You can still spend less on products from a company like Spigen, which is good for about $12 (order from Amazon) and it comes with a simple install tray, which makes putting one on, simple and perfectly aligned.

Nov 3, 2021 10:55 PM in response to luenic luke

I also feel what you feel! It’s really bad when Apple claim the toughness and in the same time

their products become more fragile and can’t handle any drop and scratches easily!!

its just business they are looking for more $$$$

the more fragile they make it

the more $$$ they make with the apple care and trade it programs!

human never feel shame!

I never bought anything in my entire 45 years of life almost anything without having problem, scratch, broken, dent etc..

never… my wife said you are just been out of luck!

I bought brand new car and scratched next day in the parking lot!

but I learn something to making me claim down ..

remember that nothing will stay and we are leaving too and the moment you are sad about now you will Lough about tomorrow!

hope that help little

enjoy your days!

Jan 7, 2022 11:15 AM in response to Gman135

Gman135 wrote:
I have the same issue. I had the phone in my pocket for 1 day and its all scratched. Nothing else in my pocket. The next day we put a screen protector on it. We went to the Apple store and they told us not their fault. I said it was poor quality and and defective workmanship. Basically told me they didnt care. I purchased six of these Ipphone 13's for my family. This is the last time I buy Apple products! I will be looking at Android next time.

The industry is filled with design tradeoffs between toughness and resistance to scratching. If you really think that somehow other device manufacturers have figured out something that Apple hasn't when it comes to material selection (at a reasonable price) then by all means.

The only thing that would likely provide what you're looking for is sapphire overlaid on tough glass, and preferably replaceable since sapphire is rather brittle. But I'm not sure who is willing to pay for it.

Jan 7, 2022 12:57 PM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

The only thing that would likely provide what you're looking for is sapphire overlaid on tough glass, and preferably replaceable since sapphire is rather brittle. But I'm not sure who is willing to pay for it.

Precisely - you can have scratchproof and brittle or more accommodating to being dropped and slightly more scratch-prone.

You can stop scratches with a $30 screen protector; nothing you can affordably apply can protect from shattering.

Oct 10, 2021 11:01 AM in response to luenic luke

Aer you actually willing to pay $329 for a new screen? That is how much a new screen will cost you. Even if you added an AppleCare+ plan at the time of purchase, the screen would not qualify under the plan to be replaced over a micro-scratch on the screen.

You may be very surprised to see the scratch disappear under a screen protector. It's your money of course.

Nov 7, 2021 4:58 AM in response to CD68

I get a new phone every model so I have had them all and NEVER get scratches and I looked at my 13 ProMax this morning and it’s scratched in a few places. I have no idea how they are there. Trust these reports, this screen isn’t like the previous ones. They are only visible when the screen is black so not an operational issue but this screen isn’t up to the standards of Apple’s previous scratch resistant phones.

Nov 23, 2021 4:13 AM in response to NickC4555

No one is "trolling" you, you are calling someone providing facts with which you disagree a troll.

There is nothing "defective" about the iPhone 13 screens, the same complaints were made about the iPhone 12.

However, if you feel differently, Apple is the arbiter, so contact Apple Support directly for next steps you can take:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Alternatively, have your phone examined at your local Apple Store:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

You do not need a screen protector but it depends on how you treat your phone.

Apple leaves it up to you rather than raise the price to include one as Samsung does.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone goes without; if you really don't like them, then you're knowingly taking a risk by going without.

It's like not washing and waxing your car; you don't have to, but then if the paint fails your auto maker won't cover it.

As far as the iPhone "2" is concerned, yes, the screen is slightly more scratch prone.

Glass can either be harder - more scratch-resistant but more likely to shatter upon impact - or more shatter-resistant but slightly more scratch-prone.

Since there is nothing you can add to prevent a screen from shattering, but you can add an inexpensive screen protector, it's obvious which is the more cost-effective choice.

Oct 10, 2021 10:32 AM in response to luenic luke

That's not unusual. Even though the glass is very strong, it is glass and glass can be scratched. I haven't owned an iPhone since iPhone 6 (and I've had many models since) without installing a good quality screen protector.

Apple even sells and installs them. They wouldn't do so if the glass was impossible to scratch. No one has yet invented glass which can't be scratched.

Apple won't do anything for you as cosmetic damage is not covered under warranty. To avoid future scratches, put a good screen protector on your phone. Go to your Apple Store, Best Buy Store or even Amazon.com and you'll find options from $6 to $50 depending on the quality you want. You spent big money on an expensive phone. Spending a few dollars more to protect the screen from scratches, only makes sense.

Oct 10, 2021 1:04 PM in response to luenic luke

You can try. But Apple typically won't let you exercise an AppleCare+ plan screen replacement for a minor screen scratch. If the screen was cracked, yes, you can use AppleCare+. But for a minor hairline scratch, don't be surprised if they don't let you. Said another way. AppleCare+ typically excludes cosmetic reasons for using the plan.

Oct 10, 2021 3:46 PM in response to luenic luke

You're welcome. You may be surprised that your scratch may not be visible under most conditions under a good quality screen protector.

iPAnother question. Do you not have this ALL glass, front and back very expensive iPhone, in a protective case? One drop could could cause the back glass to crack if not protected. And the back glass cannot be repaired or replaced. The entire phone would have to be replaced. But that would be worthy of an AppleCare+ use.

Nov 7, 2021 7:48 AM in response to CD68

Like screen protectors or don’t, they are the ONLY way to avoid scratching the very expensive screen on your iPhone. I have explained in this very thread there is no way to make glass which is equally harder to break AND scratch at the same time. If you can figure this out, something neither Apple or Corning, the worlds largest maker of screens for phones in the world, you’ll be richer beyond your dreams.

Either put a screen protector on your phone or live with scratches. Those are your only options, like it or not.

iPhone 13 Pro Max micro scratch on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.