Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Predictive text problem

When typing on my iPhone, it adds an A after acronyms before the next word consistently. How can I stop this? Been going on for months; I’ve no idea how it started.

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 6:03 AM

FYI - I had a similar problem with predictive text and found this suggestion which appears to have worked. Wiped out all custom predictions but better than the wrong one continually showing up:

Four Steps to Reset/Clear keyboard History on iPhone, iPad

1. Heading to Settings App.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Scroll the screen all the way, Tap Transfer & Reset iPhone.
  4. Choose Reset.
  5. Tap Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
  6. A Pop-up Ask you, Tap Reset Dictionary.

Good Luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 6:03 AM in response to Fencersmom

FYI - I had a similar problem with predictive text and found this suggestion which appears to have worked. Wiped out all custom predictions but better than the wrong one continually showing up:

Four Steps to Reset/Clear keyboard History on iPhone, iPad

1. Heading to Settings App.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Scroll the screen all the way, Tap Transfer & Reset iPhone.
  4. Choose Reset.
  5. Tap Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
  6. A Pop-up Ask you, Tap Reset Dictionary.

Good Luck!

Oct 11, 2021 11:35 AM in response to Fencersmom

Hey there Fencersmom,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues with predictive text. We're happy to provide some assistance.

Check out this helpful resource:

How to use Auto-Correction and predictive text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

In that article, you will see the option to turn off predictive text or you can set up text replacements if there is an acronym that you're using constantly. If you want to provide feedback on predictive text or if there is an option or feature you would like to see in the future, you can submit feedback to Apple here:

Product Feedback

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Predictive text problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.