Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove the sidebar in iOS Preview?

I like to read PDFs on iPad (manuals, articles etc.). For some reason, unlike on macOS Preview, the thumbnail side is shown permanently. This seems to me a SERIOUS design flaw: it deprives the user of control over the presentation, wastes precious screen space, and, most importantly, RANDOMLY – which I think is the worst quality of a design – reduces focus without ANY gain (the thumbnails could show up by tipping the screen, just as all other additional controls are and/or show up when scrolling).

Did I do something wrong or is there really no way to hide it?

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 2:58 AM

I presume your comments relate to iPadOS15?

The current implementation of Quick View does not, as you observe, allow you to hide the thumbnail sidebar that appears at the left edge of the screen in either Landscape or Portrait screen orientation.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 2:58 AM in response to jaan164

I presume your comments relate to iPadOS15?

The current implementation of Quick View does not, as you observe, allow you to hide the thumbnail sidebar that appears at the left edge of the screen in either Landscape or Portrait screen orientation.

Apple do invite constructive feedback, comments and feature requests via their product feedback pages. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

You are encouraged to make use of this facility in expressing any views concerning issues, bugs, or functionality changes of which you are unhappy.

How to remove the sidebar in iOS Preview?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.