Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off list formatting in Notes app?

New to this and can’t figure out how to provide an answer in a previous discussion of this question. [https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4970423] While not an answer and certainly not suggesting that Apple cannot/should not fix this, a kludge that works for me (iPadOS 15) is to prefix each number with a space. Notes then ignores the numbering and does not autonumber, providing that I continue to insert the space before each new number. Once I’m done and happy with my list, I remove the spaces preceding the numbers and all is well. Obviously this only works with trivial lists. Anything with hundreds of entries would be a chore. (Maybe use Pages or Numbers for those?) I also notice that Notes doesn’t seem to autonumber when I use letters, only when I use numbers or asterisks (or other “bullet-like”markings?)?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 5:36 PM

On an iPad it’s quite simple…

Touch your screen location where you want to turn off list, this will bring up the virtual keyboard, then touch “Aa” top RHS of keyboard and select “body”.

List should disappear. Took me a while to find this out, not intuitive.

Hope this helps.

PS probably the same on any device.

2 replies

How do I turn off list formatting in Notes app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.