Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change to photos from iphoto

how to change over to photos from iphotos

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 12:16 AM

Hi

Open the iPhoto library in photos by holding down the option key while starting photos, and selecting the iPhoto library to open. Photos will update the library for use with the Photos app.

I strongly suggest you backup the iPhoto library first - you are potentially processing a lot of data and there is always a risk that can go wrong. Also the update is a one way street. Once converted you can't go back.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 12:16 AM in response to paulinefromgretna

Hi

Open the iPhoto library in photos by holding down the option key while starting photos, and selecting the iPhoto library to open. Photos will update the library for use with the Photos app.

I strongly suggest you backup the iPhoto library first - you are potentially processing a lot of data and there is always a risk that can go wrong. Also the update is a one way street. Once converted you can't go back.

Oct 12, 2021 7:00 AM in response to TonyCollinet

TonyCollinet wrote:

By all means he should backup, but the old iPhoto Library is left in place with a new name, so you can go back if you change your mind right away. What you can't do is turn a Photos Library back into a Photos one.

how to change to photos from iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.