Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Word on a Mac

Overview

Even though I have Administrator Privileges on my Mac Book, I can't save Microsoft Word Files (saved to my Mac from a Portable Hard Drive) ‘back to’ the same Portable Hard Drive.

Background

Successfully downloaded and installed Microsoft Office 2021 on a 2014 Mac Book, running Big Sur. (Note, it's the 'One Time Purchase' Version of MS Office, not the Office 365 Monthly  one).

When I open a Word File (from a Portable USB Drive) it opens in Word as: 'Read Only'.

If I want to Save, or Edit, that File, I'm first 'compelled' to click a Banner (that appears at the top of the file) prompting me to save as a 'Duplicate', in order to avoid the default 'Read Only' View.

My issue is that, if (after saving the file on my Mac) I then try to save it back to it's original Folder on my Portable USB Drive (by using MS Word’s 'Save As’ option), I get a Pop-up from Microsoft Word telling me it can't 'over-write' the file's 'earlier version' on the USB Drive. This seems to be because Microsoft Word appears to believe that either:

a) the File saved on my Mac that I’m attempting to ‘Save As’ back to my USB Drive, is Read Only' (which it definitely is not, as it's file Privileges' shows it to be: Read / Write (NOT 'Read Only')

OR 

b) …that the ‘original’ version of the file (located on the USB Drive) which I’m now attempting to 'over-write,' is (itself) Read Only’  - which it’s not).

The very same Pop-up Alert, also suggests 'renaming' the file (or 'saving it to another location' on the Drive) but when I attempt to do either, I get a fresh Alert informing me that ‘the Volume’ for the Drive I'm trying to save the file to, is Full or Read Only (NOT TRUE).

As mentioned at the beginning of this Question, I have Administrator Privileges on my Mac Book (so that can't be the problem).

Any suggestions? (Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this weirdness).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 5:40 AM

Thanks

This 'Update' may help others who get the same issue.

I've subsequently discovered that, on my Mac when I select 'get Info' for my Portable Drive - in the Sharing & Permission Data (next to my Name) - the 'Table' of Permissions states: 'Read Write', BUT (just above the Table) it says: 'You can only Read'.

While I'd love to be wrong, I suspect that, because the Portable Drive was formatted on a Windows PC, it is probably in NFTS format. My guess is that - maybe - Word on Mac (or Mac) cannot 'save to' an 'NFTS' Formatted Drive.

Because I want to store all my Documents on my Portable Drive (not the Mac's Hard Drive), at present the only solution I think 'might' work, is to:

a) buy a new Portable Drive

then

b) Format New Drive to exFat Format (gather exFat can Read & Write to both Windows and Mac).

If that is correct, I'd then also have to transfer all my (many!!) files and folders from my current NFTS formatted Portable Drive to the new (exFat Formatted Portable Drive) then use that new Portable Drive to share Files & Folders between my Windows Laptop and my MacBook.

If anyone who stumbles on this Post (in the 'near future') knows of an easier / cheaper solution, then I'd appreciate hearing further, with details.

Thanks.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2021 5:40 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks

This 'Update' may help others who get the same issue.

I've subsequently discovered that, on my Mac when I select 'get Info' for my Portable Drive - in the Sharing & Permission Data (next to my Name) - the 'Table' of Permissions states: 'Read Write', BUT (just above the Table) it says: 'You can only Read'.

While I'd love to be wrong, I suspect that, because the Portable Drive was formatted on a Windows PC, it is probably in NFTS format. My guess is that - maybe - Word on Mac (or Mac) cannot 'save to' an 'NFTS' Formatted Drive.

Because I want to store all my Documents on my Portable Drive (not the Mac's Hard Drive), at present the only solution I think 'might' work, is to:

a) buy a new Portable Drive

then

b) Format New Drive to exFat Format (gather exFat can Read & Write to both Windows and Mac).

If that is correct, I'd then also have to transfer all my (many!!) files and folders from my current NFTS formatted Portable Drive to the new (exFat Formatted Portable Drive) then use that new Portable Drive to share Files & Folders between my Windows Laptop and my MacBook.

If anyone who stumbles on this Post (in the 'near future') knows of an easier / cheaper solution, then I'd appreciate hearing further, with details.

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2021 8:10 AM in response to clickfix

Please don't see this as a "brushing off." We are trying to get you the best and fastest help. I've used Word:Mac continuously since V3 or v4 and have not encountered what you describe.

As MS Office is not an Apple product and there are not as many Office:Mac users active here as one would think, I believe you will be better served by also asking in Microsoft's Office forums. MS Office questions posted in Apple’s forums tend to linger a long time before getting any kind of helpful response.

The only trick to the MS forums is limiting views to Mac issues, and that’s easy.

Start here: 

Results in Office - Microsoft Community.

That will display this page header:

1) If needed, use the “Office Topic” pull-down to select your Office app.

2) Limit answers to Mac topics with the “Office Sub-topic” pull-down.

3) If needed, use the “Show Filters” option to further narrow the results.

Once you set it that way, everyone there is both an Office user and a Mac user, something you can't say about Apple's forums. I believe you will find the contributors there knowledgeable and very helpful.

NOTE: This is not take you to the clumsy MS support pages, which I find hard for Mac users to navigate.

Microsoft Word on a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.