Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 camera flare issue

I have just bought an iPhone 12 recently and encountered the known issue of flares in Night photos. I have contacted Apple about this issue and had been to the service centre as well and I have been told by them that it is normal.

Now I have read a lot of threads and articles about this issue came to know the physics behind it.

But just to be sure and on a safe side I want someone professional or more experienced to please take a look at my phone’s photos and tell me that the amount of flare I am getting is normal or is there some defect in my camera ?

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 6:51 AM

9 replies

Oct 12, 2021 7:12 AM in response to mirzasaim

Very normal, given the brightness of the TV and low lit room. You can compose the photo better, by angling the camera differently relative to the scene. In fact, before you took the photo, the flare was on your screen. Angling the camera differently while you look at the screen and you'd have seen the flare move and even if angled the right way, disappear.

Oct 12, 2021 7:56 AM in response to lobsterghost1

That you I hope I will this is indeed a brilliant camera phone but having upgraded from a much inferior andoid phone where I never experienced the flare being so prominent I began to suspect this natural lens behaviour as an issue but now I know that its common but I do would like to know why some inferior phone create less flare and will there be even more flare on better cameras.

Oct 12, 2021 7:59 AM in response to mirzasaim

Lesser cameras have higher apertures, hence less light getting to the sensor, so less flares. The lower aperture cameras on these newer phones let much more light into the sensor. So you're seeing things a lesser system can't highlight very well, ESPECIALLY in low light when photographing something which is contrasted in brighter light, like the TV in your lower lit room.

iPhone 12 camera flare issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.