Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The GPS on my IPadpro WIFI is not working, what can I do ?

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 5:16 PM

Yup.

A WiFi ONLY iPad has no true GPS functionality.

With WiFi, something like maps apps, will attempt to approx, your position by using surrounding WiFi signals, in the area,, to triangulate a position or try to calculate a route by WiFi signal triangukatuon.

While this may work just fine in areas with lots of WiFi signals around, in sparser areas, WiFi triangulation may not be possible.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 5:16 PM in response to flylovers

Yup.

A WiFi ONLY iPad has no true GPS functionality.

With WiFi, something like maps apps, will attempt to approx, your position by using surrounding WiFi signals, in the area,, to triangulate a position or try to calculate a route by WiFi signal triangukatuon.

While this may work just fine in areas with lots of WiFi signals around, in sparser areas, WiFi triangulation may not be possible.

Oct 12, 2021 5:51 PM in response to flylovers

flylovers wrote:

This is perhaps unsurprising - as your iPad has no built-in GPS capability.

Unlike your iPhone and WiFi & Cellular models of iPad, WiFi Only iPads do not have any GNSS (GPS) location capability with which to directly determine their location - and as such are completely reliant upon their network connection to infer an approximate location. This limitation has further implications in that mapping Apps installed on your iPad cannot estimate your location without a WiFi network connection; no “moving maps” when away from home!

Your approximate geographic location is estimated from a “database lookup” of (a) your WiFi Network Name (SSID) or detected neighbouring WiFi networks - and (b) the “public” IP Address provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). 

If the mapped WiFi network name or IP Address are not available within the applicable databases, or if this information substantially differs between sources, then your approximate location may not be computed. This situation often occurs if you are in a remote/rural location where neighbouring WiFi networks are scarce - or if connecting over satellite or VPN connections.

Network IP Addresses and WiFi networks are frequently mapped in urban and cosmopolitan areas (including “crowd source” techniques) and as such approximation of your location from lookup against these databases can be provide relatively high accuracy. As population and network density diminishes, this mechanism becomes progressively less reliable.

If purchased as a Navigation device, I regret that your chosen model of iPad is unsuitable. You need a WiFi+Cellular model - or you can add an external GPS receiver (either wired or Bluetooth), this being common when used in automative, marine or aviation applications.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.