Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Copy to a shared Hard Drive - com.apple.desktopservices

I have a Mac Mini with 10.6.4 that is working fine (except for this problem)
The Mini is on my network, and has one factory internal drive, and two external drives that I use for storage of images, and software originals.

After mounting the drives over the network, whenever I try to copy any file to any of those drives from my MacBook Pro 10.6.4, here is what happens.

(Oh yes. … Both machines versions of 10.6.4 are fully up to date. After reading other suggestions, I updated both machines via the 10.6.4 combo update this morning, and the same problem still happens)

First.) I log in over the network as the owner of the Mini machine, from the MBPro also as Owner.
Second.) I can choose, any drive, or all drives, including the internal drive, on the Mini.
Third.) The chosen drives seem to mount normally on the desktop of my accessing machine, MBPro.
Fourth.) I can copy from any of the mounted drives to my local machine without problems.

Now comes the problem.

Fifth.) I try to drag any file or folder to any of the mounted drives.
Sixth.) I am asked by (Details - com.apple.desktopservices) to, "Type your password to allow Finder to make changes."
Seventh.) I answer the request with my name and password, and hit return.
Eighth.) I get the error "The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “” already exists." ()
Ninth.) There has been created a 0k sized file on the target drive.
Tenth.)

MacBook Pro 2.4, Dual 1.8 G5, iMac, MacMini, and X-Server, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Aperture - Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 5D, Adobe RGB, Raw images

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 1:10 PM

1 reply

Sep 15, 2010 12:56 PM in response to Jack Foster Mancilla

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the exact same issue.

I have mini running 10.6.4. I created a a user account ("jed") from a TimeMachine backup of my MBP, also running 10.6.4.

When logged in to the mini as "jed", I connect to the MBP from the mini as "jed", but I cannot copy files to the MBP from the mini. I keep getting the "Type your password to allow Finder to make changes." dialog. Even when I enter the correct password, I get a warning that "A newer file named filename already exits..." and a 0k file on the MBP. The same thing happens in reverse when trying to copy files to the mini when it's mounted on the MBP.

Interestingly, when logged in as a different user on the mini, I have no trouble copying files to the MBP when connected as "jed". Same when I mount the mini as a different user on the MBP.

Could there be a conflict between the "jed" accounts on the mini and MBP, since the mini "jed" user is a clone of the MBP "jed"?

Cannot Copy to a shared Hard Drive - com.apple.desktopservices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.