Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Mac HD have over 2 TB of purgeable data when I've only used 1.7 TB of regular data?

I'm trying to understand why my Mac HD is showing 2.04 TB of purgeable data. Combined with the regular data, it says I've used up 3.98 TB of my 4 TB hard drive.

I discovered the problem when I was trying to import FinalCut Pro media and it gave me the error that there wasn't enough space on my local hard drive. I couldn't understand why, since About This Mac shows that there's 2.07 TB available.

In a FinalCut forum, someone recommended I click Get Info on my Mac HD icon, and sure enough the purgeable data appears to be the problem.

I looked up some articles about purgeable data, and it seems like this is only supposed to account for a small fraction of your total used space. So why is my purgeable data larger than the visible amount of storage I've used up (only 1.7 TB)?

So far I've tried rebooting, deleting local Time Machine snapshots, clearing the system cache, and emptying trash. Nothing has reduced this purgeable data reading, and FinalCut still won't let me import anything onto my Mac HD.

What am I missing? I thought buying a MacBook Pro with 4 TB storage would be more than enough, so why am I out of space after only using up 1.7 TB??

I appreciate the help!!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 9:51 PM

Good to hear that the purgeable space is going down!

The benefit of running First Aid from macOS Recovery is that Disk Utility can immediately start doing repairs on the boot volumes. When your Mac is started up normally, it can verify but not repair your boot drive. In order to perform repairs, the target volumes must first be "unmounted" (made unavailable to other processes, including macOS system processes). This is possible for external drives; however, unmounting the boot volumes isn't possible while macOS is running, because macOS depends on accessing those volumes.

macOS Recovery gets away with repairing basically whatever it wants, because it lives on a different volume (in fact, inside a dedicated image) than the typical boot volumes used by your Mac. To protect non-advanced users, Disk Utility doesn't show the hidden volumes that reside on your Mac. Those can only be revealed via the command line (Terminal).

To completely fix the purgeable space error, my best suggestion would be to back up all of your data, erase your Mac, and then import that data again using Migration Assistant (or when prompted to do so in Setup Assistant).

To completely erase your Mac running macOS Catalina or later (including macOS Big Sur), follow these steps:

1. Sign out of iCloud in System Preferences -> Apple ID. This ensures that Activation Lock is disabled.
  2. Start up in macOS Recovery.
  3. If you're prompted for an administrator password, skip to step 6.
  4. The main window should appear. At the top of the screen, select Utilities -> Terminal.
  5. Type this command and hit Enter (Return): resetpassword
  6. At the top of the screen, select Recovery Assistant -> Erase Mac.
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions to erase and reactivate your Mac. Your Mac will restart as part of this process, and might need an Internet connection to continue.
  8. When the main window appears again, select Install macOS and follow the onscreen instructions.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 9:51 PM in response to jdhoop

Good to hear that the purgeable space is going down!

The benefit of running First Aid from macOS Recovery is that Disk Utility can immediately start doing repairs on the boot volumes. When your Mac is started up normally, it can verify but not repair your boot drive. In order to perform repairs, the target volumes must first be "unmounted" (made unavailable to other processes, including macOS system processes). This is possible for external drives; however, unmounting the boot volumes isn't possible while macOS is running, because macOS depends on accessing those volumes.

macOS Recovery gets away with repairing basically whatever it wants, because it lives on a different volume (in fact, inside a dedicated image) than the typical boot volumes used by your Mac. To protect non-advanced users, Disk Utility doesn't show the hidden volumes that reside on your Mac. Those can only be revealed via the command line (Terminal).

To completely fix the purgeable space error, my best suggestion would be to back up all of your data, erase your Mac, and then import that data again using Migration Assistant (or when prompted to do so in Setup Assistant).

To completely erase your Mac running macOS Catalina or later (including macOS Big Sur), follow these steps:

1. Sign out of iCloud in System Preferences -> Apple ID. This ensures that Activation Lock is disabled.
  2. Start up in macOS Recovery.
  3. If you're prompted for an administrator password, skip to step 6.
  4. The main window should appear. At the top of the screen, select Utilities -> Terminal.
  5. Type this command and hit Enter (Return): resetpassword
  6. At the top of the screen, select Recovery Assistant -> Erase Mac.
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions to erase and reactivate your Mac. Your Mac will restart as part of this process, and might need an Internet connection to continue.
  8. When the main window appears again, select Install macOS and follow the onscreen instructions.

Oct 12, 2021 8:09 PM in response to jdhoop

Hi jdhoop,

Try checking your internal drive for errors, as described below. Disk Utility might be able to repair some errors it finds using the First Aid feature.

Considering the size of your internal drive and the amount of data stored on it, these steps may take a long time to complete.

1. Make sure all of your data is backed up onto a sufficiently large storage device (such as an external drive or a network solution).
  2. Start up in macOS Recovery: Hold down Command-R as you power on or restart your Intel-based Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear.
  3. If you're prompted for an administrator password, enter it to continue.
  4. The main window should appear. Select Disk Utility and click Continue.
  5. Click the View button, then select Show All Devices.
  6. Select the "Macintosh HD - Data" entry beneath the container entry:
    1. If a Mount button appears, click it. It should soon change to an Unmount button. If FileVault is enabled, enter your password when prompted to continue.
    2. If an Unmount button appears, you can safely proceed with the below steps.
  7. Repeat step 6 with the "Macintosh HD" entry, beneath the container entry.
  8. Select the Container entry and click First Aid. This will run First Aid on all of the volumes inside the container (including Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data), and will then check the container afterwards.
  9. During the check/repair process, click the arrow next to "Show Details" to reveal the log. Search this log for any notices pertaining to allocation or overallocation errors.
  10. If any allocation/overallocation errors appear, please let me know and I can provide steps to fix those issues via the command line.
  11. If any other errors appear in Disk Utility, check if they were successfully repaired. If they were repaired, run First Aid again on the container until no issues appear.

Oct 12, 2021 8:33 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Thanks for these steps. I did try running the First Aid feature in Disk Utility (though not by starting in macOS Recovery—not sure if that's a different process). The First Aid log didn't show any errors or anything unusual that I could see.

I also tried clearing out the purgeable storage by entering terminal commands that created a large file, which I then duplicated until the entire hard drive was filled. Then I moved the folder of large files to the trash and emptied the trash. Since then, the purgeable data reading has come down to 2.39 TB (see screenshot below).

After this process, FinalCut finally allowed me to import my media, which is good. But it still seems like there's too much purgeable data, and I'm not sure why creating and deleting those large files didn't clear it all away.

I appreciate any other suggestions!

Why does my Mac HD have over 2 TB of purgeable data when I've only used 1.7 TB of regular data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.