Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downgrade big sur to mojave

I erased the hard disk inside the new MacBook Pro

I tried to use Recovery to Restore from Time Machine with my latest backup from the old MacBook Pro and I got this message: "You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of mac".

Since, I'm stuck on the Recovery Page.

Please, is someone could help to fix this issue?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 2:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 4:28 PM

Hi dsvKwa,

If your new Mac shipped with macOS Mojave, try these steps to install macOS Mojave. This won't work if your new Mac shipped with macOS Catalina or later.

1. Erase your Mac and reinstall macOS Big Sur.
  2. Complete the Setup Assistant when prompted.
  3. Restart into macOS Recovery and enter your admin password when prompted.
  4. At the top of the screen, select Utilities -> Startup Security Utility.
  5. If prompted, enter your admin password again.
  6. Set the Secure Boot setting to Medium Security. Set the external boot setting to Allow.
  7. Save your changes and restart normally.
  8. Download the macOS Mojave installer: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12
  9. When the installer is completely downloaded, make a bootable installer: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support
  10. Start up in macOS Recovery again and erase the top level of your internal drive in Disk Utility.
  11. Follow the steps in the last article to start up from the bootable installer and install macOS Mojave.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2021 4:28 PM in response to dsvKwa

Hi dsvKwa,

If your new Mac shipped with macOS Mojave, try these steps to install macOS Mojave. This won't work if your new Mac shipped with macOS Catalina or later.

1. Erase your Mac and reinstall macOS Big Sur.
  2. Complete the Setup Assistant when prompted.
  3. Restart into macOS Recovery and enter your admin password when prompted.
  4. At the top of the screen, select Utilities -> Startup Security Utility.
  5. If prompted, enter your admin password again.
  6. Set the Secure Boot setting to Medium Security. Set the external boot setting to Allow.
  7. Save your changes and restart normally.
  8. Download the macOS Mojave installer: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12
  9. When the installer is completely downloaded, make a bootable installer: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support
  10. Start up in macOS Recovery again and erase the top level of your internal drive in Disk Utility.
  11. Follow the steps in the last article to start up from the bootable installer and install macOS Mojave.

Oct 13, 2021 5:01 AM in response to dsvKwa

dsvKwa wrote:

I erased the hard disk inside the new MacBook Pro
I tried to use Recovery to Restore from Time Machine with my latest backup from the old MacBook Pro and I got this message: "You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of mac".
Since, I'm stuck on the Recovery Page.
Please, is someone could help to fix this issue?

You can not run an older macOS then what was shipped on the Mac when new.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If you got a issue read more here—

About Startup Security Utility - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/revive-or-restore-an-intel-based-mac-apdebea5be51/mac

Oct 13, 2021 3:05 AM in response to dsvKwa

Not sure why you would want to erase a new MacBook but if this is a new MacBook and BigSur came pre-installed then you can't downgrade to anything older. Whilst in Recovery Mode reinstall the OS, which will be BigSur. I don't use Time Machine but I have a feeling it won't restore from a back-up until you have an active operating system installed on the drive you're restoring data to.

If you want access to older operating systems then consider a VM or purchasing an older model.

Good luck

Oct 13, 2021 12:12 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

Thank you for your reply Antonio.

I want to downgrade because my internet connection doesn’t allow me to depend on the cloud and my Adobe collection (along with other applications) no longer works with Big Sur. So, I did not buy a "new" computer but a 2019 MacBook Pro reconditioned by Apple.

I first connected the two computers together with USB C and tried with migration to transfer the old into the "new", but the "new" computer refused.

Then I tried with Recovery and my last TimeMachine backup, but the message was: "You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of mac”.

So I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make another backup, but I didn’t know how to use it because Recovery window seems to recognize only TimeMachine backups.

Now I have little possibility on the screen, hard drives "Macintosh HD" and Macintosh HD - Data" having been erased); I did not even dare to click "restart" for fear of being blocked.

Let’s add that, before erasing the "new" computer, I made a TimeMachine backup, but then I realized that only the disk "Macintosh HD - Data" had been saved. So (given my weak internet connection), any going back (Big Sur) seems to me compromised.

I followed the links you gave me. Thanks.

If there is nothing simpler to do (is it not possible to use CCC Back up?) I will try to restore with Apple Configurator 2.

downgrade big sur to mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.