Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proof of ownership

When Apple requires proof of ownership of an iPhone, they want receipt with serial number on it. While I have the online receipt and the box with serial numbers, this is insufficient for Apple. I’m sure Costco is a legal reseller, but like most companies, serial number of a product is never on the receipt. What can I do?

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 1:07 PM

Where were you attempting to get your iPhone repaired? A copy of the online receipt should be sufficient to prove ownership.

Is this receipt from Costco?

You can also update your proof of ownership here: Update your proof of purchase - Apple Support

3 replies

Oct 13, 2021 1:45 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your reply. My Apple ID was invalid immediately when I tried to sync pictures from my old iPhone 4, which transferred an old , now invalid, email I had 10 years ago. I have spent over 15 hours on phone to different Apple support and it always comes down to a hard reset.. When I did this as instructed, iPhone became fully locked to owner unless I could sign in.. Next step is to prove ownership to get Apple to reset for me.

I have provided online Costco receipt with price and description of iPhone and model, my name and membership. Since receipt does not have serial number on it, I also provided picture of iPhone showing it’s serial numbers, and a picture of box with all serial numbers and bar codes. The answer is always the same, proof is insufficient since serial number not on online receipt. So I am left with a barely used iPhone brick.

Proof of ownership

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.