Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upload Photo from iPhone

When I connect my iPhone (12 mini with latest iOS 15.0.2) to my iMac (M1, 2021 with 11.5.2) and try to upload photos, the message

Preparing to import from "PK iPhone 12 mini" comes up but does not proceed even after waiting 30 minutes.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thank you.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 1:19 PM

Hmm, the System Photo Library isn’t only for iCloud Photos but is the only library that can be used for iCloud Photos.

If you selected to use it, and this was the first time using the Photos App on the iMac, maybe it’s trying to import to that library but the library is syncing to iCloud then running out of storage space. Keep in mind that is just a guess though.

Where are the photos I imported into Photos on my Mac? - Apple Support

This article shows how to turn on, and off, iCloud Photos. Make sure it is not on by accident. Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support

Finally, rather than importing the photos using the Photos App it may be easier to sync the photos on the iMac and iPhone using Finder. Sync photos between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

The difference between importing and syncing is about what happens after a photo is deleted or edited on either device. Imported photos are unrelated files between the iMac and iPhone. So a photo would need updated/deleted on both separately. A synced photo updated/deleted on either device would automatically update on the other device, at the next sync.

Let me know if any of this helps or if you are still seeing the issue.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2021 1:19 PM in response to pkBrooklyn

Hmm, the System Photo Library isn’t only for iCloud Photos but is the only library that can be used for iCloud Photos.

If you selected to use it, and this was the first time using the Photos App on the iMac, maybe it’s trying to import to that library but the library is syncing to iCloud then running out of storage space. Keep in mind that is just a guess though.

Where are the photos I imported into Photos on my Mac? - Apple Support

This article shows how to turn on, and off, iCloud Photos. Make sure it is not on by accident. Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support

Finally, rather than importing the photos using the Photos App it may be easier to sync the photos on the iMac and iPhone using Finder. Sync photos between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

The difference between importing and syncing is about what happens after a photo is deleted or edited on either device. Imported photos are unrelated files between the iMac and iPhone. So a photo would need updated/deleted on both separately. A synced photo updated/deleted on either device would automatically update on the other device, at the next sync.

Let me know if any of this helps or if you are still seeing the issue.

Oct 13, 2021 7:58 PM in response to pkBrooklyn

Hello pkBrooklyn,

Would you happen to be using iCloud Photos for your photo library? Or, do you have an iCloud+ plan with enough space for your photo library?

This Apple Support article has some other possible solutions too.

If you can't import photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer - Apple Support

“If you turned on iCloud Photo Library on your Mac and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, your photos might already be on your computer. Use these steps to check for your photos in Photos for macOS. You can also go to iCloud.com and open the Photos app to see your entire photo library and choose photos to import. If you didn't turn on iCloud Photo Library, try using My Photo Stream to access your photos on your computer.”

I hope this helps.

Oct 14, 2021 9:46 AM in response to Scott-he-him

Hello Scott-he-him,

When I connect my phone to Mac, and open Photos, instead of seeing the phone photos on the phone to upload, the message Preparing to import from "PK iPhone 12 mini" comes up and I can't do anything to remove it. I removed some photos from my phone that I uploaded there from a iCLoud link someone else sent me because I thought maybe that was the problem, but it didn't help. What else can I try?

I don't really want to use iCloud for photos. Too many from too many years. Unless there is a way to limit the date range

Many of my photos are "Live" so Photo Stream not a good option.

I went to Photos Preferences to see if there was anything to do there. Which it seems there is not.

I clicked on Use as System Photo Library to see what that would do ( I guess this if for iCloud) and it is now grayed out.

Upload Photo from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.