Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro running very slow

I have Mid-2012 MacBook Pro running MacOS Catalina. The current specs are 2.9GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD. Just recently, my computer is very slow and takes 1-5 minutes to respond when logging into computer, clicking on an app, or typing anything in. I decided to try and boot into recovery and run a first aid but had no issues with the drive. Additionally, I did a recent update for Catalina which did not resolve the issue. In fact now I cannot logged into my computer because it freezes and when typing in my password in the sign in and press enter the computer has a spinning wheel. I additionally, try to replace the SSD with a new SSD however, the installation process is still taking a long period of time and same issues, when click on each option when setting up the new OS it takes several minutes. Has anyone dealt or seen an issue like this? Any help much appreciated!

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 11:06 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 15, 2021 11:50 AM in response to Citruzz

Hi Citruzz, 

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that your MacBook Pro is running very slow and we are happy to help. If you haven’t already done so, follow the steps found in the Apple Support articles below, then check to see if the issue is still there after each one: 

1. If your Mac runs slowly
  2. If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac
  3. Start up your Mac in safe mode - "Starting up your Mac in safe mode may help you diagnose problems with your Mac."
  4. Create a new user account to see if software in your main user account is causing the issue: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We hope this helps. Take care.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro running very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.