Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With the latest update of the Apple TV, the sound settings are messed up.

I want to be able to select my AirPlay speakers as fixed output. That that is no longer possible after the last update is 1 thing. A bigger problem is that my AirPlay speakers no longer reproduce the sound synchronously. Before the last update everything worked perfectly. Tried everything. Even went back to factory settings. Took a lot of time no success.

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 12:45 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 18, 2021 4:51 PM in response to Janoes

I am in the same situation. Its like Apple assume you connect the Apple TV to a ... TV. I dont have a TV, I use a projector instead so the Apple TV is connected to the projector through HDMI. The sound has to go somewhere else and I have therefor previously selected AirPlay as the default output. This has worked beautifully in the past but not now with the tvOS 15.0 update. Now it selected the projector speakers (it has built in crappy speakers) as default speakers, I dont want that but it is the only option in tvOS 15.0. AirPlay speakers can only be selected as temporary speakers but this selection doesn't persist. It is like Apple assume that the Apple TV is connected to a TV set or amplifier through HDMI and that you only ant to add additional speakers via AirPlay. No one on the development team seems to be creative enough to think out of that box. So right now I have to first deselect "default speakers" (the built in projector speakers) and select temporary speakers (AirPlay) each time I want to use my Apple TV. Another major problem is sound being out of sync to an AirPlay 1 speaker. Don't tell me to update to latest software and reboot my gear. I know exactly how to test and verify this, its a fact, streaming to an AirPlay 2 speaker works but the sound to an AirPlay 1 speaker is out of sync. The whole situation is super annoying and it totally ruins my user experience. Unfortunately Steve Jobs is not around anymore to tell the development team that this is unacceptable.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 15, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Janoes

Hi Janoes,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We understand that your speakers are not in sync with your Apple TV, is that right? What type of speakers are we working with?

Can you tell us what steps you've taken specially? We know you've already went back to factory settings. Did you restore your Apple TV?

We look forward to your reply.

Cheers!

Oct 17, 2021 2:19 PM in response to Miche11e_P

I use Yamaha Music cast for audio output via airplay. Given the problems, I also tested the audio output via the airplay option on my raspberry pi on which I run Volumio. Both devices give the same problem. I also performed the synchronization of the wireless audio option on the Apple TV, but during calibration the audio is sent via the HDMI output…?! So this doesn't work either. I'm very disappointed with this crappy update.

Oct 19, 2021 10:12 AM in response to Janoes

So I just got my third reply deleted by the Apple Support Communities Staff. So I add another version below where I have deleted the offending mentioning of a kind of software you are not supposed to talk about in this forum... I just wish the tvOS development team was as picky with their releases as the Apple Support Communities Staff are banning replies. I also wish Apple was just as efficient releasing bug fixes as they are censuring their support forum. My edited re-post:

I am in the same situation. Its like Apple assume you connect the Apple TV to a ... TV. I dont have a TV, I use a projector instead so the Apple TV is connected to the projector through HDMI. The sound has to go somewhere else and I have therefor previously selected AirPlay as the default output. This has worked beautifully in the past but not now with the tvOS 15.0 update. Now it selected the projector speakers (it has built in crappy speakers) as default speakers, I dont want that but it is the only option in tvOS 15.0. AirPlay speakers can only be selected as temporary speakers but this selection doesn't persist. It is like Apple assume that the Apple TV is connected to a TV set or amplifier through HDMI and that you only ant to add additional speakers via AirPlay. No one on the development team seems to be creative enough to think out of that box. So right now I have to first deselect "default speakers" (the built in projector speakers) and select temporary speakers (AirPlay) each time I want to use my Apple TV. Another major problem is sound being out of sync to an AirPlay 1 speaker. Don't tell me to update to latest software and reboot my gear. I know exactly how to test and verify this, its a fact, streaming to an AirPlay 2 speaker works but the sound to an AirPlay 1 speaker is out of sync. Whats worse, these errors persist in the latest ***CENSURED***. The whole situation is super annoying and it totally ruins my user experience. Unfortunately Steve Jobs is not around anymore to tell the development team that this is unacceptable.

Oct 20, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Miche11e_P

Today Apple event was promoted on my ATV, I thought I'll check it out. I have to say it detracted from the experience that when Tim Cook started talking the sound came a few seconds later. What a joke.

I guess more people should be bothered by this? What is Apple's response? I have never experienced such disappointment with an Apple product in all these years.

With the latest update of the Apple TV, the sound settings are messed up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.