Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad pro 10.5 will not update ipadOS 15.0.2. Have tried all troubleshooting tips!

Tried to install ipadOS 15.0.1 and it failed. Waited for 15.0.2 and tried that and it also failed. I went online and tried as many troubleshooting tips as I could find. iTunes update did not work. I deleted the update many times and tried to reinstall (OTA and from iTunes). Nothing is working. iTunes give error message: "The <name> ipad could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4000). WTF is error code 4000? It's not even in the error code list provide by Apple? I DO NOT want to restore my ipad! I have too much stuff on there that won't be restored even with a full backup. This is crazy. Any help is much appreciated.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 4:30 PM

There are issues with update of some iPad models to iPadOS 15.0.1/15.0.2.

For affected WiFi+Cellular models of iPad, such as yours, many are reporting that removal of the SIM tray from the iPad will allow the verification and installation process to compete. Other reports suggest that installing a SIM card (whether actove or not) also permits the update process to complete.

You may need to restart the update process, but removing the SIM tray from the iPad is simple and costs nothing to try.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 4:30 PM in response to dro7646

There are issues with update of some iPad models to iPadOS 15.0.1/15.0.2.

For affected WiFi+Cellular models of iPad, such as yours, many are reporting that removal of the SIM tray from the iPad will allow the verification and installation process to compete. Other reports suggest that installing a SIM card (whether actove or not) also permits the update process to complete.

You may need to restart the update process, but removing the SIM tray from the iPad is simple and costs nothing to try.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2021 5:38 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for your reply. However, I have solved the problem. In another post, someone mentioned to turn off the passcode/touch ID and don’t let it go to lock screen. So I disabled passcode and set auto-lock to ‘never’. I reconnected to iTunes and started the 15.0.2 update again. After I did all that, it worked! Just remember to turn passcode back on and reset auto-lock to whatever it was previously.

ipad pro 10.5 will not update ipadOS 15.0.2. Have tried all troubleshooting tips!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.