Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 does not show up on MacBook

I am trying to reset my iPhone 7 by connecting it to my MacBook pro. I have updated both devices, I have checked multiple cords, I tried with my iPad as well and both iPad and iPhone show up in system information under USB but do not show up in Finder. I have also unselected the and reselected the CD's, DVD's and iPods box on the sidebar under finder preferences. I do not have a box that says IOS devices in finder preferences.

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 4:23 PM

The fact that neither the iPhone nor the iPad show up in Finder suggests a settings issue.

There are two Finder preferences to check:

One is the CDs, DVDs and iPods box in Finder > Preferences > General tab.

The other is the CDs, DVDs and iOS Devices box in the Finder > Preferences >Sidebar tab.

If you've confirmed that both of these are check marked, try rebooting the Mac.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient. How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 4:23 PM in response to fire184

The fact that neither the iPhone nor the iPad show up in Finder suggests a settings issue.

There are two Finder preferences to check:

One is the CDs, DVDs and iPods box in Finder > Preferences > General tab.

The other is the CDs, DVDs and iOS Devices box in the Finder > Preferences >Sidebar tab.

If you've confirmed that both of these are check marked, try rebooting the Mac.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient. How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Oct 15, 2021 6:23 PM in response to fire184

I've just realized that your Mac is running macOS High Sierra. I believe that Finder sync arrived with Catalina and wasn't available in High Sierra or Mojave. That being the case, you'll manage your iPhone using the iTunes app. Connect you iPhone to your Mac and then launch iTunes.

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Oct 15, 2021 5:29 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

I followed all your directions, under both General and Sidebar tabs it is called CDs, DVDs and iPods. Neither one says iOS devices if this matters.

I tried it in Safe Mode and then back in normal mode, still nothing??

My main goal is to reset my phone because I forgot my 4 digit Screen Time passcode. but in order to do this I have to be able to connect to my MacBook.

iPhone 7 does not show up on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.