Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone contact defaults to FaceTime Audio

I have ONE and only one contact that when I go to call him from an iMessage thread, it defaults to FaceTime Audio. No matter what I do, I just can't seem to change this to default to Voice Call. I've deleted the email on his contact but that didn't work.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 1:31 PM

Lily, I also had this problem, where if I clicked on my wife's contact icon at the top of our iMessage thread, it only gave me the option for FT Audio. I did some digging and comparing, and found that, in the Contacts app, if I used "iPhone" next to her phone number, instead of mobile or phone, it would only allow me to use FT Audio. Once I switched it to "mobile," the option for a mobile phone call reappeared in the messages app. I've attached a screengrab to demonstrate where this option is.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 1:31 PM in response to lilyscar

Lily, I also had this problem, where if I clicked on my wife's contact icon at the top of our iMessage thread, it only gave me the option for FT Audio. I did some digging and comparing, and found that, in the Contacts app, if I used "iPhone" next to her phone number, instead of mobile or phone, it would only allow me to use FT Audio. Once I switched it to "mobile," the option for a mobile phone call reappeared in the messages app. I've attached a screengrab to demonstrate where this option is.

Oct 15, 2021 1:54 PM in response to lilyscar

Thanks for reaching out, lilyscar.

It sounds like you're running into an issue with your contact defaulting to FaceTime calls. We can help.

A lot of this may actually depend on how your friend has their Messages app and FaceTime set up on their device. Since we won't be able to see those settings on your end, we can test out a different way. If you turn off Wi-Fi and cellular data, are you able to send a green SMS message to this contact and have them reply to it? If they can, try a test phone call next.

If not, the issue may be on their end.

Let us know how it goes.

iPhone contact defaults to FaceTime Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.