Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro wiped clean of all data and applications

I retired from my hospital and my USB C Macbook Pro was wiped clean of all data, all applications, and the OS so now it only shows a flashing folder with question mark when turned on.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 6:57 PM

When you plug the USB with the installer and turning on holding Option it doesn't show the USB installer so you can choose it and boot? Maybe a problem with the bootable installer.

And when you start holding Option Command R or Shift Option Command R it doesn't start to the Recovery Mode at all?

If it's an Intel-based Mac, prior to doing these install commands, try these too

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Also see

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

Here's also a set of commands that could be useful Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

But sure, as you have Apple Care for this Mac, do not hesitate taking it to the Apple Store for a proper check.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 6:57 PM in response to fspoon

When you plug the USB with the installer and turning on holding Option it doesn't show the USB installer so you can choose it and boot? Maybe a problem with the bootable installer.

And when you start holding Option Command R or Shift Option Command R it doesn't start to the Recovery Mode at all?

If it's an Intel-based Mac, prior to doing these install commands, try these too

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Also see

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

Here's also a set of commands that could be useful Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

But sure, as you have Apple Care for this Mac, do not hesitate taking it to the Apple Store for a proper check.

Oct 14, 2021 5:06 PM in response to fspoon

Check this How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

The Option Command R set of keys might get it done for you by starting Internet Recovery.

More info Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If possible, use a wired connection or make sure to be in a good wi-fi connection for this process.

Or if you have access to another Mac, try this How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Maybe for booting from an external drive you'll need to allow it in Startup Security Utility About Startup Security Utility - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2021 6:37 PM in response to Rafael Scheid

Nothing worked so far. I have a MACBOOK PRO USB, recent model that was wiped out completely all apps, the OS, and does not open, does not respond with a downloaded bootable MAC Big Sur in a USB. But it only shows a brief Apple and then a blinnking manila file icon with a ? in it.

So I have a MAC PRO with unaccessable hardware, no apps, no OS. just a machine only. No information about the Serial Number. Recent MACBOOK with Apple Care. Apple store nearby said to make an appointment next Tuesday!

Oct 15, 2021 5:37 PM in response to Rafael Scheid

I went to APPLE store and they took it in to reinstall an OS, also found that the battery was at its end and needed replacement, and also found a crack in screen to repair, and will replace a Command keyboard key that had its markings worn off --- after 2 1/2 years !!. Apple Care was still in effect.

Was about to try the recommendations. What a great resource forum to try.

Macbook pro wiped clean of all data and applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.