Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone is not letting me update

Why my phone won’t let me update

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 6:36 PM

5 replies

Oct 14, 2021 8:14 PM in response to Missclarke36

Missclarke36 Said:

"My phone is not letting me update: Why my phone won’t let me update"

-------

Why the Issue? There is an error connecting to Apple's servers.

To Check for Updates:

Use a Computer and Ethernet:

Start with attempting an update through use of a computer. If you cannot use Wi-Fi, then use Ethernet.  Go Here: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. On the computer, you would connect it through Ethernet, going directly into your router. For a Mac (or PC) that does not have Ethernet, this would be the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple. If you get the same error, the model is likely just not compatible.

Oct 14, 2021 8:17 PM in response to Missclarke36

Is there any pop-up messages that states something along the lines of: "iPhone will try installing this update later tonight." If it does then, make sure the battery is at 50% or is plugged in and the update will happen automatically. While, if the software update icon is grayed out. There is a possibility that the device simply needs to be plugged in and the update should occur.

If this doesn't help, please check out this articles: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201435

Update: As I have now seen your new message. There is a possibility that your storage has run out. Try backing up some of the data to iCloud or an SD card/hard drive and see if that helps. Software updates normally take 2GB-5GB (iOS 15 uses 2.2GB of storage so I'm not aware if iOS 14.7 uses more storage capacity or less) of storage. So check out the storage capacity on your iPhone.

My phone is not letting me update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.