Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Notify When Left Behind shows “Not Supported” for AirPods Pro

How come I can enable Notify When Left Behind for my AirPods Pro on my iPad Pro but my iPhone 11 Pro Max shows Not supported” under Find My / Notifications /?.

I have correct firmware in AirPods (4A400) and devices are up to date (iOS 15.0.2)

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 9:21 PM

8 replies

Nov 7, 2021 12:36 PM in response to Sylvur

Sylvur wrote:

Literally just finished a chat with Apple Support about this same problem. AirPods Pro (4A400) and iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 15.1). They eventually said they found documentation saying the feature requires an iPhone 12 or newer. I asked why and they said they were unable to confirm the exact reason.

Very disappointing. I’ve found nothing anywhere public facing about iPhone 12 and newer being a requirement.

This does not match my observation. All my devices are able to show my AirPods Pro, Find My shows "with me" as location (the AirPods are within 2 metres, have been in the charging case and not moved all day).

MacBook Air, 13" M1, macOS 12.0.1

iPhone XS Max, iOS 15.1

iPad Pro (9.7") iPadOS 15.1

Apple Watch Series 7, WatchOS 8.1

So clearly the ability to locate does not appear to be something related to age of device or the chipset used.

However, there is an anomaly in the ability to notify when AirPods Pro are left behind:

Apple Watch says the function is On, has configuration options enabled, and will notify when AirPods are separated from iPhone.

MacBook Air is similar to Apple Watch and also adds an option to configure safe zone where an alert will not be triggered.

iPad is similar to MBA

iPhone (which is the supposed recipient of notifications) has the Notifications option for AirPods greyed out and unavailable.

Note: I have not yet tried leaving my AirPods anywhere except at home which is a safe zone so I have no idea if the notification works to my iPhone.

I suspect the inability to set and configure notification might be a bug in iOS15.x so it would be worth (a) testing on any other Apple devices in your collection,

and

(b) reporting a bug through the Feedback pages, https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Oct 28, 2021 11:40 AM in response to Kreltsz23

Literally just finished a chat with Apple Support about this same problem. AirPods Pro (4A400) and iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 15.1). They eventually said they found documentation saying the feature requires an iPhone 12 or newer. I asked why and they said they were unable to confirm the exact reason.

Very disappointing. I’ve found nothing anywhere public facing about iPhone 12 and newer being a requirement.

Nov 7, 2021 12:41 PM in response to Ipadsad2

Ipadsad2 wrote:

It seams to work if you have an apple
watch or iPad. I was able to enable it on both. Not sure if it works, I have to test it.

I think we are looking at a bug in iOS15.x, see my response to Sylvur in this thread, which I posted before I noticed you are the OP. Like you, I still have to test the notification and see if it works

My Notify When Left Behind shows “Not Supported” for AirPods Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.