You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iMovie keep consuming disk space when I am not editing ?

I'm using iMovie 10.2.5 on macOS Big Sur 11.4.

While iMovie was open to view a large .mp4 file (463MB) of 3 hours of recording, iMovie popped out a warning dialog saying it is about to run out of the space and if I want to stop the task. I didn't know what task it was talking about, but I agreed. And I checked the hard drive. Sure it had less than 1 GB left. Emptying the trash didn't help.

Following https://macpaw.com/how-to/clear-imovie-library, I cleared the render files. That created 63GB of free space. But I heard the fun noise and the disk space gradually decreased to 50 GB in 10 or 20 minutes. Fearing another exhaustion of the disk space, I quite iMovie. Then the disk space decrease stopped.

iMovie seemed to be doing some tasks for some reason although I was just viewing the video. What is iMovie doing ? Is there way to step whatever it is doing?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 11:54 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 15, 2021 9:03 AM in response to coffeeloverwhocannottakecoffee

You describe rather an odd situation. I am not exactly sure what procedure you were doing. So, I can only speculate as to the cause.

iMovie will do background tasks, such as rendering your edits in real time. Your rendering may have aborted at 453MB because you were running out of disk space. You had 63MB of rending files, which is quite a lot. The "task" that the error message references probably is your edit rendering or exporting process (if you are trying to export). As Ian says, a 3 hour movie should be much larger than 253MB. When you cleared out some space, the rendering may have started up again unless you had done a Force Quit of iMovie. That might explain why disk space was decreasing, and may have been doing fine until you quit iMovie.

In any event, try returning to iMovie and commencing again whatever it was you were doing that flagged the insufficient space issue. Let the tasks finish out.

Also, try these procedures and see if they cure the issue:

Deleting Preferences

Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears.

iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Safe Mode

You could also try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers). It is a simple procedure that requires rebooting while holding down certain keys. The link below describes the procedure.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

-- Rich

Oct 15, 2021 2:18 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I don't know why you believe firmly 463 MB is too small for a 3 hour clip, but it's just the fact.

Here is a screenshot of the Finder's preview panel for this file. (Sorry it was 464 MB.)

I dropped this file to my media library, then dragged it to the timeline (? the panel in the bottom).

Then I was playing some parts.

Oct 15, 2021 1:52 AM in response to coffeeloverwhocannottakecoffee

There are a number of discrepancies in your description.

463MB is very small and 3 hours just does not make sense. A 3 hour video will probably be around 10GB if not bigger.

It sounds as though iMovie may be converting the file to ProRes which would account for the massive use of disk space but I have no idea what you have done to make it start converting.

Why does iMovie keep consuming disk space when I am not editing ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.