📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homekit automations not working ios15

Since updating to ios15 on my iPhone and tvos15 on my apple TV my automations (turn lights on when arrive home, turn off when leaving) have stopped working. I've rebooted internet router/modem, apple TV (hub), deleted and redone the automations in the home app, rebooted by Sylvania smart bulbs, all multiple times in various orders. Essentially, I've employed all the standard fixes. Upon searching, this appears to be a widespread problem since ios15 was released. All of my devices are running the latest update available. Any additional advice is appreciated.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 11:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 5:20 PM

Same issue here. I tried resetting everything from scratch and automations still don’t work. Oddly, pressing the “test automation” button within the automation performs the correct action, but the automation will not activate at the specified time. Apple PLEASE fix this!

Similar questions

62 replies

May 4, 2022 12:36 AM in response to m.cobo

I think, I have at least solved one piece of the puzzle. Using automations with shortcuts now makes it necessary to generate individual scenes with only devices that are always available. Let me provide examples:

• Combination of light switch and bulbs (that only become available after the switch is on) -> and afterwards playing sounds on the HomePod fails miserably
  • Only using the switches (i.e. no color in the lights) -> and then the HomePod playing sounds works successfully

This means: between iOS 14 and 15, there seems to be some new feature introduced with "waiting for feedback on the result" and "maximum runtime". Maybe it only got slower and now misses the thresholds.

Dear Apple: what about triggering everything at once and afterwards checking what worked and maybe even re-trying. Remember: the bulbs come online after the switch is set and it might take a few seconds until bridges like Hue see them.

This does still not explain, why sometimes nothing is working, when the HomePods are in control. But I have another guess there: they are just too slow for a 160 device home with plenty of automations. So another suggestion from a dumb customer. If I have Apple TVs and an iPad fixed on the wall, why the **** is a slow HomePod ever becoming active as a control unit? Why can I turn this off for iPad and Apple TV, but not the slow devices? It just doesn't make any sense.

Feb 1, 2022 1:05 AM in response to drboggs

!WORKAROUND!

I created a new 'scene' in the home app, then used apple shortcuts to automate that scene. It works.

I tried everything and I'm beyond annoyed the built-in HomeKit automations just won't run. I started messing around with apple 'shortcuts' and it appears to be working pretty well.

Here's what I did:

1) Using iPhone HOME app

• go to the room with your devices (mine is favorites as everything is in there)
  • hit the + sign in upper left corner
  • select Add New Scene
  • select Custom
  • add a scene name and then select Add Accessories
  • select the devices for this scene, then hit done
  • on the next screen MAKE SURE you set the state of the devices (ie. on or off) by tapping on each added accessories
  • hit done

2) Use the iPhone SHORTCUT app

• Open shortcut app and select Automation on bottom tab
  • select the + in the upper right corner
  • select Create Personal Automation
  • select your trigger (I used Time of Day)
  • set the time and hit next
  • Select 'Add Action'
  • in the 'search for apps' enter Home
  • Then select 'Control my home'
  • then select 'scenes and accessories
  • the select your newly created SCENE
  • then hit Next
  • then hit DONE
  • then hit NEXT
  • then turn off the 'ask before running' button (make it NOT green)
  • then hit done

While this probably isn't the most efficient shortcut, it's what I dd and for now, my outside lights are turning on and off automatically, which is my end goal. Hope it works for you

Oct 15, 2021 8:59 PM in response to drboggs

Is Apple TV your only HomeKit Hub? Others can be an iPad or HomePod.

Without having to completely Reset Apple TV, you can try resetting the AirPlay & HomeKit on it.

Try these steps:

On the Apple TV in settings - Users Accounts- your name - iCloud- sign out. 

Restart Apple TV - then sign back in after it restarts

Set up AirPlay & HomeKit again on the ATV - you will see a red badge alerting you to do this because you signed out.

Oct 29, 2021 11:43 PM in response to drboggs

I had same problem for nearly a week, HomeKit wasn’t working no lights or cameras were responding.

tried everything reset all lights, everything had latest updates.

the solution for me I unplugged my HomePods and waited until Apple TV 4K became the hub, which you can check through the home app settings, plugged HomePods back in, Apple TV remained the hub and now everything works.

hope this helps people

Mar 21, 2022 7:50 AM in response to Misspinkadee

WORKAROUND

While this works, it'd be best if Apple FIXED it.

I created a new 'scene' in the home app, then used apple shortcuts to automate that scene. It works.

I tried everything and I'm beyond annoyed the built-in HomeKit automations just won't run. I started messing around with apple 'shortcuts' and it appears to be working pretty well.

Here's what I did:

1) Using iPhone HOME app

• go to the room with your devices (mine is favorites as everything is in there)
  • hit the + sign in upper left corner
  • select Add New Scene
  • select Custom
  • add a scene name and then select Add Accessories
  • select the devices for this scene, then hit done
  • on the next screen MAKE SURE you set the state of the devices (ie. on or off) by tapping on each added accessories
  • hit done

2) Use the iPhone SHORTCUT app

• Open shortcut app and select Automation on bottom tab
  • select the + in the upper right corner
  • select Create Personal Automation
  • select your trigger (I used Time of Day)
  • set the time and hit next
  • Select 'Add Action'
  • in the 'search for apps' enter Home
  • Then select 'Control my home'
  • then select 'scenes and accessories
  • the select your newly created SCENE
  • then hit Next
  • then hit DONE
  • then hit NEXT
  • then turn off the 'ask before running' button (make it NOT green)
  • then hit done

While this probably isn't the most efficient shortcut, it's what I dd and for now, my outside lights are turning on and off automatically, which is my end goal. Hope it works for you

Jan 24, 2022 1:04 PM in response to bjorn132

Hi everyone, I found the cause why automation is not working.

Actually because of timezone and I think probably it’s a bug in iOS.

My timezone is (UTC+3) and when I want to set a schedule I have to add (8+ hours) on my current time to work as expected.

(e. g. Planned at 6:00AM, Actual set at 2:00PM)

And my automation runs at 6:00 AM

I don’t know why it happens like that but I will try to raise a bug and hopefully apple will fix it.

Jan 11, 2022 12:20 AM in response to wafi543

Totally agree with! Same here! Since iOS/tvOS 15.2, I'm facing a lot of issues with automations. I have two aTV (one wired connected to the LAN and one wifi connected) and three HomePod mini. After update to iOS 15.2 and especially tvOS 15.2/HomePodOS 15.2, automations working unreliable and sporadically. It doesn't matter whether automation triggers a scenarios or single accessory - all are affected! Also old and new automations. Hitting the "Test Scenario" button in the Home app, the scenarios executing as expected. But as it comes to trigger automations time based or sensor based, I cannot rely on a proper execution.

I also followed some "so called best practices" and have completely removed all three HomePods from my setup. No improvements with the remaining two aTVs in my HomeKit setup.

Jan 16, 2022 11:36 AM in response to drboggs

SOLVED!

I've struggled with my automations (and HomeKit in general) for years. Tons of 'not responding' accessories or my automations work for sometime, then stop. I've tried changing hubs, rearranging their order, all the different settings, etc. Additionally, the same BS occurred even after I moved to a new house.

Reading a review of the HOME app replacements, I download Home+5 ($$) and everything has been working flawlessly for over a week now! I deleted the automations from the HOME App, then set them up in the Home+ 5 app and things worked right away.

It's possible it's something else, however, for me, it's well worth the additional money to just have things work as expected.

If the problem creep back in, I'll come back and update this post. 

Happy Automations to all.

Jan 24, 2022 11:05 PM in response to bjorn132

In my setup two Apple TVs and three HomePod mini were working. With the update to iOS 15.2, audioOS 15.2 and tvOS 15 one day later automations has been stopped working at all!

In the meantime I did several tests and investigation the last two weeks (since I've raised upport requests @Apple as well). I found out, as long as at least one HomePod mini is part of the setup, the issue is replicable any time. Remove the HomePod mini and remain the Apple TV as HomeKit hub, any automation will work as expected (at least a day later/assume iCloud sync over this time).

My guess: HomePod mini have problems with Thread. If a HomePod mini takes the ownership as leader w/ or w/o being a connected as HomeKit hub (you can see this in the Home app), the problem begins. As stated, remove all HomePod mini from the setup, and the problems go away after a short while.

Whether a HomePod mini or Apple TV is acting in the Thread network can be checked with the EVE-app for iOS, for instance. Unfortunately, as we all know there is no other simple option to have a look into some logs or status of Homekit.

I'm going to wait whether Apple will fix the issues with audioOS 15.3. If not I quite consider to throw them out of my setup. The situation makes me really angry. Apple support has neither provided any satisfying answer to my two service requests I've raised in the meantime more solved the problem so far.

Jan 24, 2022 11:45 PM in response to Djiwondee

I tried removing homepod mini (and was about to throw it out of my window). I used my iPad as homehub before, but as I use my iPad for travelling and Training I bought this dumb homepod. It did work untill iOS 15 Update. I am very happy that I have my Google and nest hub. Hoping for Them to fix the availablity of sensor-triggers Then I Will flush apple and iOS for good.

Homekit automations not working ios15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.