Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity monitor networking results wrong - ( tx shows double the actual performance)

Hello,

I find that the activity monitors TX performance lies.

Running a test where the wifi ax connection speed is ~ 800mb on average, I get (using Iperf3) the following data-rates:

TX: view claims 120MB/second -- I measured 55MB/second

Using RX measurements the values seem to be correct:

74MB/s vs 66MB/s measured.

Can this be filed as a bug or is there a logical explanation why the TX rate is wrong?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 8:49 AM

zampanothegreat wrote:

Hello,

Running a test where the wifi ax connection speed is ~ 800mb on average, I get (using Iperf3) the following data-rates:

Can this be filed as a bug or is there a logical explanation why the TX rate is wrong?

You can file a bug report using this same link: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 8:49 AM in response to zampanothegreat

zampanothegreat wrote:

Hello,

You can file a bug report using this same link: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Oct 17, 2021 4:02 AM in response to steve626

Possibly, but less convincing, since speed test relies on internet connectivity, which in my case is 50mb up and 500mb down.

vs the test I did was agains my server (1Gb Ethernet) , a 600mb wifi connection and using a recognised tool called iperf3 with fairly symmetric up and download speed running for arbitrary Amount of time showing 120MB /s which translates into >1.2Gb (clearly more then the physical connection can do.j

for the sake of completeness , it shows 9MB (translate to 100Mb/s) for a 50mbit uplink. Maybe it’s just the M1 maybe it’s just AX. Anyhow it’s wrong and I verified it multiple times because it’s weird.

Oct 16, 2021 10:00 AM in response to zampanothegreat

Suggest that you also run simultaneous tests using Speedtest (free) app (or other similar app). Then if both of your third party measurements agree and show 2x difference with Activity Monitor, you will have a more convincing case for Apple to review when you send the results to them via feedback page.

By the way, on my Macs (several, with several different MacOS versions), Speedtest agrees with Activity Monitor, namely the receive and transmit speed in Mb/s is 8x what is reported in Activity Monitor in MB/s. The sampling rate is a little different but that would not explain the 2x difference you are seeing.

Also -- to maybe get to the bottom of this, you might try downloading a very large file of known size and manually time the download and compare that to the various speed tool measures you have at the same time.

Activity monitor networking results wrong - ( tx shows double the actual performance)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.