Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur destroyed my MacBook

I have two questions and wasn't sure whether to pose them separately so will do them all as they're interrelated and someone can tell me where to post the others if they're better somewhere else on the community.

Firstly, I stupidly upgraded to Big Sur within days of it's big release - I usually have auto update turned off and wait a month or more before installing new OS software as I find it better to wait for all the inevitable issues to be ironed out. I've always been pro Mac having used it since I started computing in 1996 despite them being well out of my budget. This has been a disappointing 18 months or so. Installing Big Sur progressively not only killed my MacBook but also TWO external drives used for backup. Initially I had problems with it logging me out randomly or suddenly sleeping despite me being in the middle of working on it. Suddenly I only had a 50% viable battery despite it living almost constantly on the charger - I would estimate it would've had less than 50 discharge/recharge cycles in it's measly lifetime as I don't travel or take it out with me (I'm 48) so it would only have been if it had been on sleep and there was a power cut. The issue with the external drives was they would be randomly ejected whilst backing - I'd get the warning notification that to ensure I safely eject the disc. Initially I blamed myself and my husband but then it did it right in front of me while I wasn't even using it. I thought it was a USB issue so tried different ports, different cables, even a third drive. Each one ended up corrupted. None of them can be repaired in Disk Utility. The fan ran almost constantly even if no applications were running or even open. And yes I tried all the usual advice with resetting NVRAM, SCM etc. I should have done a rollback long ago in hindsight and am kicking myself. The final straw was a few weeks ago it randomly froze so I rebooted and on restart get the flashing question mark folder. Rebooted using command-R into DU and looked like a it might be a software issue as I could see the data folder as well as the drive. The disk had issues on verify so tried to repair it which was also unsuccessful. Resigned myself to having to use my only TM not yet corrupted which hadn't been used for around 3 months and I'd done a lot of work on my Dad's 80th birthday photo montage, but was prepared to start again. However, when I chose to reinstall the destination drive part is blank - yet shows in Disk Utility. So I have a bricked MacBook, I've bought a MacBook Air M1 but am so hesistant about what OS to use. Do I go back to Catalina which had it's issues but is still being updated unlike HS. Do I go with Big Sur and hope I'm one of the lucky ones as looking online it's still a massive piece of rubbish. Or do I hold off and wait for Monterey even though I'm steadily losing all faith in Apple (in saying that I still went and bought another one eh).

Secondly, what is the current recommendations on really good recovery software. Some of my photos are showing as damaged so one that includes that as a feature would be better bang for my buck. I can't possibly afford taking 2 external drives plus to MacBook to a pro and we're currently locked down so it's out even if I was rich. There's SO MANY APPLICATIONS to search through but Recuva maybe looks relatively good in terms of what I'm looking for. I have good all-round IT knowledge (i.e taking Mac's apart, comfortable using terminal etc, and writing Windows *cough* scripts and their manual database backups and restores etc so I feel savvy enough given the right product.

If anyone has any input or previous experience in any software I'd value anything you had to say. TIA

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.0

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 8:58 PM

What a horrible tale of woe. I keep multiple backups (multiple Time Machine drives, clones) of all our Macs, and you just motivated me to do a second backup of my wife's iPhone which has scores of priceless photos.

What to do going forward? You presented many issues but I think the two most pressing questions are (1) how to handle your new M1 Mac, and (2) what might present the best chance of recovering your files from the damaged (or not fully functional) drive.

For (1), I believe the M1 Macs came in 2021 with Big Sur, you cannot put it on anything older than the MacOS it came with. So for that Mac, I think you need to stay with Big Sur. I suggest two Time Machine backup external drives (the Mac will alternate between the two drives, each will have a complete backup) that you keep current, plus a "clone" backup (e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper, or various others). It is also good to put your most irreplaceable files in some sort of cloud storage so even if, say, a fire or power surge destroyed all the computer equipment, those files would be preserved.

For (2), you want to find a product that at least claims to be able to recover files from the newer APFS file system -- that's the one used under Big Sur. If you can find reviews, look for ones that mention success with APFS. My worry about Recuva is that it mentions 10.6 or later -- 10.6 is a very old MacOS. Look into Disk Drill (which claims to be ready for Monterey the soon to be released APFS-based system) or some others, but you need something that works well with APFS. There are a number of powerful programs for recovery from HFS+ but APFS is not as well documented so it has proved to be more problematic. I wish I could give you a recommendation from personal experience, but as you can tell from my obsession with backups, my approach is more to have many backups and replace a drive from the backup when it fails (especially if the failed drive is APFS), because "repairing" an APFS drive is typically a low-probability-of-success thing to try.

Also, since you have a second (and a healthy) Mac, have you tried booting your problem Mac into Target Mode connected to the new Mac? This should show your old Mac internal drive on the desktop of the new M1 Mac and you MIGHT be able to copy files (maybe many files) from the damaged drive. It is certainly worth a try.

I hope one or two of these suggestions helps some, maybe. What you have experienced is everyone's worst nightmare. Keep the Time Machine drive safe, you might be able to simply copy files from it using Finder copy, although it works best under the Time Machine interface.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 8:58 PM in response to sandilash

What a horrible tale of woe. I keep multiple backups (multiple Time Machine drives, clones) of all our Macs, and you just motivated me to do a second backup of my wife's iPhone which has scores of priceless photos.

What to do going forward? You presented many issues but I think the two most pressing questions are (1) how to handle your new M1 Mac, and (2) what might present the best chance of recovering your files from the damaged (or not fully functional) drive.

For (1), I believe the M1 Macs came in 2021 with Big Sur, you cannot put it on anything older than the MacOS it came with. So for that Mac, I think you need to stay with Big Sur. I suggest two Time Machine backup external drives (the Mac will alternate between the two drives, each will have a complete backup) that you keep current, plus a "clone" backup (e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper, or various others). It is also good to put your most irreplaceable files in some sort of cloud storage so even if, say, a fire or power surge destroyed all the computer equipment, those files would be preserved.

For (2), you want to find a product that at least claims to be able to recover files from the newer APFS file system -- that's the one used under Big Sur. If you can find reviews, look for ones that mention success with APFS. My worry about Recuva is that it mentions 10.6 or later -- 10.6 is a very old MacOS. Look into Disk Drill (which claims to be ready for Monterey the soon to be released APFS-based system) or some others, but you need something that works well with APFS. There are a number of powerful programs for recovery from HFS+ but APFS is not as well documented so it has proved to be more problematic. I wish I could give you a recommendation from personal experience, but as you can tell from my obsession with backups, my approach is more to have many backups and replace a drive from the backup when it fails (especially if the failed drive is APFS), because "repairing" an APFS drive is typically a low-probability-of-success thing to try.

Also, since you have a second (and a healthy) Mac, have you tried booting your problem Mac into Target Mode connected to the new Mac? This should show your old Mac internal drive on the desktop of the new M1 Mac and you MIGHT be able to copy files (maybe many files) from the damaged drive. It is certainly worth a try.

I hope one or two of these suggestions helps some, maybe. What you have experienced is everyone's worst nightmare. Keep the Time Machine drive safe, you might be able to simply copy files from it using Finder copy, although it works best under the Time Machine interface.

Oct 16, 2021 12:43 PM in response to sandilash

sandilash wrote:

Firstly... I had problems with it logging me out randomly or suddenly sleeping despite me being in the middle of working on it. Suddenly I only had a 50% viable battery despite it living almost constantly on the charger -

The fan ran almost constantly even if no applications were running or even open.

And yes I tried all the usual advice with resetting NVRAM, SCM etc. I

Rebooted using command-R into DU
However, when I chose to reinstall the destination drive part is blank - yet shows in Disk Utility. So I have a bricked MacBook, I've bought a MacBook Air M1 but am so hesistant about what OS to use.

Secondly, what is the current recommendations on really good recovery software.

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.0

No where do you say what exact mac is this...

There are at least 52 models of MBP released since January 2006— I suspect it has to be late 2013—2020?

The stable release of macOS Big Sur is 11.6

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version
https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/mac-help/mh15216/10.15/mac/10.15

Options—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Oct 17, 2021 7:25 PM in response to sandilash

I still have SCSI cables too, not sure why, but I used them on my PowerPC Mac many years ago!

Some guidance on Target disk mode is provided here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/transfer-files-mac-computers-target-disk-mode-mchlp1443/mac

hthttps://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/transfer-files-a-mac-apple-silicon-mchlb37e8ca7/11.0/mac/11.0

Note that a Thunderbolt cable is required if one of the Macs is on Big Sur.

Not sure Target mode will work in your situation, but certainly worth a try.

It sounds like you have plenty of cloud storage -- make sure they aren't interfering with each other, however when they do their syncing. That can happen sometimes. I use Dropbox on my personal computers and my work computers use Druva Gov Cloud. The Druva Gov Cloud does complete backups of all our files; Dropbox I use for storage of most things that people typically keep in their Documents folders, so basically I have all those files in cloud storage (plus the local backups). But be careful if you use iPhoto or Photos Libraries, because some cloud storage does not preserve the complex Library structure properly.

Oct 16, 2021 6:46 PM in response to sandilash

My apologies, yes I should've mentioned that, probably due to the late night writing of the post. It's the MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017.

Thank you for the links, I assume due to my lengthy post you missed where I said I'd already used MacOS Recovery to try and repair the internal drive then when that was unsuccessful I would've reinstalled the OS but there is no installation destination disk showing up. Please tell me what calling customer support will do in this situation - is there a magic code that only they know that will make it visible? I have resigned myself that the drive is dead so wanted to know whether it can be salvaged, with or without removing it from the MBP and recommendations on software for this and the two back up drives that were corrupted with all the random ejecting. Can you offer any advice on this matter?

As for the new MacBook Air 2021 (13-inch, M1) are you saying Big Sur 11.6 is stable enough now that I can install it with no concerns?

Not sure what's happened with this community as I haven't been on it for years, but people used to be a heck of a lot more friendly, helpful and polite. Thanks for the *help* and I hope you have a great day.

Oct 17, 2021 12:48 AM in response to steve626

Thank you Steve, you've restored my faith again in the community. I had been trying to get the MBP SSD to mount using Terminal so I can do a clean install but have decided to do the Target Mode just gotta have a dig around in my cable box - which has so much to wade through as I have everything under the sun in there even old SCSI cables. As for a cloud based storage I have a Google 1 and Drive account and Dropbox. Is this enough? Or better yet what do you use? Thanks again, and wherever in the world you are I hope you have a great rest of your day.

Oct 17, 2021 11:47 PM in response to steve626

Golly I'm a hoarder l don't why I keep all these cables. And sadly I have everything under the sun for PC or Mac but alas not a Thunderbolt so I gotta do me some shopping. Thanks for the great advice on the cloud sync and checking on clashes. I also have more than one Google 1 account and separate Dropbox and Drives so I better look into that. I think its because I'm over cautious as we lost a whole load of sentimental photos both physical and a back up drive. We had a second one in a fireproof safe but between the fire and water damage we had to spend over a K on a technician and even then didn't get everything back. So now I'm over cautious hence the 3 TM backups (I'll get that clone backup started too once I'm sorted) and the multiple cloud accounts 😕

Big Sur destroyed my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.