Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad restore

Turned on ipad today and it is asking for 6 digit passcode. I always used a 4 digit. Can't get past that and now iPad is disabled. Trying to do a restore through itunes. I've updated itunes and it still won't do the restore. Keep getting pop up saying that itunes must first be updated.

Is there a way to do restore without going through itunes?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 2:07 PM

No.

What do you own for a full computer?

For an older Mac running Mac OS X, 10.11.4 up to macOS Mojave, you can use the latest iTunes version ( 12.8.x ) or if a full Windows PC, you can use the latest version of iTunes for PC.

If using a newer Mac with macOS Catalina or Big Sur, you need to use the macOS Finder app to do the iPad restore.

There are NO other options.

Good Luck to You!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 2:07 PM in response to 7Harriet

No.

What do you own for a full computer?

For an older Mac running Mac OS X, 10.11.4 up to macOS Mojave, you can use the latest iTunes version ( 12.8.x ) or if a full Windows PC, you can use the latest version of iTunes for PC.

If using a newer Mac with macOS Catalina or Big Sur, you need to use the macOS Finder app to do the iPad restore.

There are NO other options.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 16, 2021 4:14 PM in response to 7Harriet

Can you, please, confirm what year and model iPad do you have/own?

The “A” model number can be found on the aluminium back of your iPad, in very small print, right under the larger bold print “iPad” on the back of the iPad.

What iOS/iPadOS version is this iPad, currently, running?

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

All of that additional info can be found in the Settings app, General settings panel, About.

Please try to make an attempt to answer all questions asked.

Thank You.

Oct 16, 2021 4:47 PM in response to MichelPM

Model - A2270

It’s a 2020 iPad 8th generation 32 GB

Since I cannot get into settings (because it’s disabled) I can’t confirm exactly how much storage is available. I’m guessing half.

I think the iPad IOS version was 14.0 (again can’t confirm). It was plugged in overnight and when I tried to turn it on today, I couldn’t. I’m not sure if it did an update overnight.

This ipad has no email installed on it, no games, no Facebook. The only thing is several newspaper apps, news apps, and Amazon.

Oct 16, 2021 4:58 PM in response to 7Harriet

Well

If you cannot use your current computer and version of iTunes to restore your iPad, then, if you know anyone family members or friends with a newer computer and newer version of the iTunes apps, to be able to contact and help you with your iPad restore issue.

OR

You may have to search online to locate and call contact your nearest, “local” Apple Store location to try/attempt to make an appointment to get your Apple iPad restored.

Apple Store employees will be glad to help/assist you.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

ipad restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.