Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch No Speaker-No Sound

Absolutely no sound is coming from the watch. I have checked absolutely every setting (sound, volume, dnd, ect.) I have even completed a factory reset and did a fresh build (did not use a backup).

On a phone call mic works but no speaker/sound.

Timer completes: haptic vibrates, but no sound.

Find my watch states “Playing sound…” but it’s silent.

Watch Model: MJ3Y2LL/A

WatchOS: 4.3.2 (15U70)

iPhone: Xs

iOS: 14.8 (18H17)

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 7:32 PM

You have a fairly old Apple Watch if it is still on WatchOS 4.3.2. What model watch is this and how long have you owned it? The maximum WatchOS version on Apple Watch 1 would be 4.x.x. If this is a first generation watch, something could have failed in the 7 years since it was originally released.

You can schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation, but I wouldn't invest any money in such an out of date watch.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 7:32 PM in response to da-gl

You have a fairly old Apple Watch if it is still on WatchOS 4.3.2. What model watch is this and how long have you owned it? The maximum WatchOS version on Apple Watch 1 would be 4.x.x. If this is a first generation watch, something could have failed in the 7 years since it was originally released.

You can schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation, but I wouldn't invest any money in such an out of date watch.

Oct 16, 2021 8:34 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes, this is a first gen watch. That said, it's is incredibly disappointing Apple would release software that would kill a core function of an otherwise perfectly functioning watch. This watch is in pristine condition, never in water, nor dropped.

It seems reasonable some new software may not work on older models, but to kill sound and disable the use of an alarm or timer seems unethical.

Oct 16, 2021 9:15 PM in response to lobsterghost1

While I appreciate you taking the time to respond, to be clear it was you who suggested Apple was responsible, by calling the watch "out of date". My response was solely based on your suggestion. I actually came into this forum hoping someone might know better procedure that could resolve it. And just so you know, a very simple google search (watch "no sound" site:https://discussions.apple.com/) returned 6,210 results.

Thanks for the response. I'll hold for a couple days to see if anyone else responds -- if not, I'll go see the Apple folks and report back here for others to know the outcome.

Oct 16, 2021 9:39 PM in response to da-gl

I said your watch is OLD. It's a 7 year old watch. Don't put words in my mouth. I NEVER suggested Apple was responsible. Reread what I wrote. I said APPLE DIDN'T KILL THE SOUND ON YOUR WATCH. Things break. Yes, it's OS is out of date, because the watch is TOO OLD to run the newer Watch OS versions. That doesn't mean Apple did anything with the version on your watch to turn off sound. There may be a simple reason for the lack of sound. The watch may have suffered a hardware failure after 7 years. It can happen with devices when the get OLD.

What I did advise is to have your watch checked out by Apple. But if it did break, it would be a most unwise investment to throw any money at an OLD device, which is not capable of running the current WatchOS software.

Oct 17, 2021 8:01 AM in response to da-gl

Just to support what lobsterghost1 has said... this is a hardware failure and nothing to do with software. The software you reloaded recently has been around for years and was almost certainly the same version your watch had been using for several years before the speaker failed. Nothing changed in the software for your watch, Apple didn't kill anything.

Nov 9, 2021 6:55 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I agree that it could just have been timing. It would be nice if apple would allow us to restore an older OS to see if it is a problem. I have a local Apple Watch repair store that can replace the speaker from another series 4 watch they have for parts. I want to wait until the next update to see if that can fix the problem without having to open up the watch. They quoted me $70CAD more then $500 less then apple quoted.

Apple Watch No Speaker-No Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.