Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP Error on new MacBook Air

Why can't I watch movies rented (and downloaded) from Apple TV on my M1 Macbook Air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 8:52 PM

Woon-Wah Siu Said:

"HDCP Error on new MacBook Air: Why can't I watch movies rented (and downloaded) from Apple TV on my M1 Macbook Air?"

-------

Authorize the Computer:

Go Here: Authorize a Mac to Play iTunes Store Purchases - Apple Support

If Already Authorized:

1. Deauthorize: the Mac
  2. Restart: the Mac
  3. Authorize: the Mac
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 8:52 PM in response to Woon-Wah Siu

Woon-Wah Siu Said:

"HDCP Error on new MacBook Air: Why can't I watch movies rented (and downloaded) from Apple TV on my M1 Macbook Air?"

-------

Authorize the Computer:

Go Here: Authorize a Mac to Play iTunes Store Purchases - Apple Support

If Already Authorized:

1. Deauthorize: the Mac
  2. Restart: the Mac
  3. Authorize: the Mac

Oct 27, 2021 2:45 PM in response to Woon-Wah Siu

I spoke to a support person on the phone and we tried several things (the Apple tv+ app cannot be removed and "re-installed", as it is part of the system). The only thing that worked was running the Mac in SAFE mode, and that got around the HDCP issue for some reason. She thought that was because we had done a hard restart or reset and that it would probably be fine after that, but of course no, it only works in safe mode.

That makes me assume that some type of security issue with a program I have installed is the issue, maybe Adobe, but I uninstalled and that made no difference. Maybe Avast, which I don't plan on uninstalling. Maybe Citrix, which I still need to figure out how to fully uninstall.

So, at least one more data point - the HDCP issue resolves in safe mode, and my phone also does not have this problem (but I'm not going to watch *movies* on my phone . . .)

Oct 17, 2021 10:56 AM in response to Woon-Wah Siu

The entire chain of devices between the laptop and the TV must support HDCP (including the cables). The "CP in HDCP means "Content Protection" and each device must fully support HDCP (and perhaps even the correct version of HDCP) since the movie industry thinks everyone is a thief and makes it extremely hard for honest people to watch their legally purchased content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/

Oct 17, 2021 4:49 PM in response to Woon-Wah Siu

Make sure macOS is completely up to date. After installing an update and rebooting check Software Update again to make sure there are no more updates to install.

Is the AppleTV completely up to date as well?

If you are using an old version of AppleTV, then perhaps it doesn't support HDCP properly for the newer purchased content (perhaps HDCP has changed since the release of your AppleTV). You may need to purchase a newer version of AppleTV. What version of AppleTV are you using?

Make sure the time & date of both the AppleTV and your laptop are set correctly.

Oct 26, 2021 9:21 PM in response to HWTech

I have done all of the things listed here, and still I cannot play any movies/tv show on Apple TV+ on my updated Macbook Air, even though it has *no problem streaming the pre-show ads* - I get a message about not supporting High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and it only shows a black screen with the program audio running.

It's incredible to me that this is so complicated when I have a brand new Air laptop and I cannot even watch anything through apple TV+ . . . I've updated everything possible, including my payment, tried different resolutions, authorized and deauthorized, restarted, over and over. Lunacy.

Oct 27, 2021 4:18 AM in response to Victronix

Did you disable or minimize any macOS security settings? I believe you may need to keep macOS with all security related settings at their maximum (perhaps even enabling extra security settings from the macOS defaults). Maybe you need to give macOS permission to access the content. You may even need to adjust your Software Update System Preferences to allow the automatic installation of all macOS updates. Watching copy protected media can be difficult because the media company's treat their paying customers as thieves.

Unless another contributor has more ideas, then I suggest you contact Apple support directly by clicking the "Get Support" link at the top right of this page to have someone from Apple actually assist you in this matter. We are just other regular users such as yourself.

Oct 27, 2021 8:18 AM in response to HWTech

Sorry to butt in. I contacted Apple more than once. The advisors shared my screen and checked everything (of course I didn't change of the security settings and I don't have any external drive or connect my Air to any other device). The last advisor created a test account and then downloaded the movie, which then played. That's how I have been watching movies rented and downloaded from AppleTV on the Air now (delete the download movie and re-download it and watch immediately after download. I downloaded movies to the Air so that I can watch movies on the plane. I haven't tried to watch at some delayed time after re-download. It would be awful if I could only watch immediately after re-download or download, as I'm uncomfortable downloading using public wife at the airport.

Victronix - Please contact Apple Support. I hope if enough of us complain to Apple, it will come up with a solution.

Have a good day!

Oct 27, 2021 5:17 PM in response to Victronix

Victronix wrote:

I spoke to a support person on the phone and we tried several things (the Apple tv+ app cannot be removed and "re-installed", as it is part of the system). The only thing that worked was running the Mac in SAFE mode, and that got around the HDCP issue for some reason.

Maybe Avast, which I don't plan on uninstalling. Maybe Citrix, which I still need to figure out how to fully uninstall.

Uninstall Avast by following the developer's instructions. Anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software are not needed on a Mac. These types of apps usually cause more problems than they solve and they impact system performance plus they interfere with the normal operation of macOS. You should also know that Avast was caught at least two times for selling users' personal information which sure doesn't sound a safe & secure product to me or a very moral and respectable company.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/01/avast-kills-off-jumpshot-the-subsidiary-that-sold-all-your-web-data/

I don't have any experience with Citrix, but there is a possibility it could also interfere with the HDCP secure path required by the media companies for consuming their media content.

You've proven the issue is with some third party software you have installed since Safe Mode allows you to watch the copy protected media. If uninstalling Avast does not help, then run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. This will allow us to see what other third party software is installed that may be likely to interfere with normal macOS operations (especially if you don't want to uninstall Citrix). If you are not wiling to uninstall the offending third party software, then you will need to live with the problem or purchase another computer to view your purchased/streaming media content. The choice is yours.

Oct 27, 2021 6:24 PM in response to Victronix

The second Apple advisor and I tried uninstalling Bitfender and Safe Mode and it still didn't work, in my case. Other than the plain vanilla software: Microsoft Office and Photoshop Element, I don't have much on the Air because I use it for travel, so I believe the problem is how Apple TV interacts with the M1 chip.

I have all kinds of 3rd party software on my Intel iMac desktop, and I don't have any issue viewing movies rented and downloaded from Apple TV.

Oct 27, 2021 7:08 PM in response to Woon-Wah Siu

Woon-Wah Siu wrote:

The second Apple advisor and I tried uninstalling Bitfender and Safe Mode and it still didn't work, in my case. Other than the plain vanilla software: Microsoft Office and Photoshop Element, I don't have much on the Air because I use it for travel, so I believe the problem is how Apple TV interacts with the M1 chip.

I have all kinds of 3rd party software on my Intel iMac desktop, and I don't have any issue viewing movies rented and downloaded from Apple TV.

Please run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the report will also include the summaries of the recent system logs. This report will also show whether BitDefender was completely uninstalled. Sometimes some small bit may be left behind to cause problems, plus the report will allow us to see if there may be any other third party apps installed that may be interfering. It will also tell us which OS you are running.

I don't discount the possibility of a compatibility issue with a new M1 Mac or a macOS bug/issue, but basic troubleshooting steps should always be followed. Even if two systems have the exact same software, there still may be some subtle difference.

The easiest way to confirm an M1 specific issue would be to perform a clean install of macOS either to the internal drive (destroys all data on the internal drive) or to an external USB3 drive (should not affect any data on the internal drive, although will this have a negative effect on HDCP due to booting from an external drive?). With a clean install of macOS you have a factory fresh copy of macOS without any third party apps to interfere and will likely be a step Apple support will insist you take if you contact Apple support directly.

Disclaimer: I've never used AppleTV or purchased/rented any Apple movie/videos so I hope another more knowledgeable contributor will provide assistance. I'm just providing some standard troubleshooting procedures which cause the majority of macOS issues until someone with more knowledge chimes in here.

HDCP Error on new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.