Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your Connection Is Not Private"

I am facing a huge problem while entering to some websites. ( I guess mainly e-commerce ones). It shows that "Your Connection Is Not Private", whereas I know for sure that these websites are secure (like Shopify). I tried also using Google Chrome and Opera, but still the same problem. Cleared caches and cookies, etc. So now I don't know what else can be done to solve this issue.

Did anyone else face a similar issue and what did you do?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 8:53 AM

ilona271 wrote:

I am facing a huge problem while entering to some websites. ( I guess mainly e-commerce ones). It shows that "Your Connection Is Not Private", whereas I know for sure that these websites are secure (like Shopify). I tried also using Google Chrome and Opera, but still the same problem. Cleared caches and cookies, etc. So now I don't know what else can be done to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

If your software is up to date...

Can you not simply ignore the generic warning "Your Connection Is Not Private"

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2021 8:53 AM in response to ilona271

ilona271 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

If your software is up to date...

Can you not simply ignore the generic warning "Your Connection Is Not Private"

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Oct 30, 2021 9:26 PM in response to ilona271

For mac's running older versions (pre 11), a specific root certificate expired on September 30, 2021. I've searched board after board and here was the only thing that fixed it:

Thanks to Qchrontech on LetsEncript board:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/connection-errors-on-apple-devices/161107/27

I can Confirm a fix that worked on both a 10.9.5 & 10.11.6 Mac OS users. Simply set the DST Root CA X3 to "Always Trust" on several Mac's I manage in an office and home's this fix work for 4 websites that previously had issues with this CERT ERR.

Directions for fix:

1. Open ~/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app
  2. From View menu select "Show Expired Certificates"
  3. On the Left Sidebar pick System Root
  4. In search bar top-right type DST
  5. Double-click "DST Root CA X3"
  6. In pop-up, turn down "Trust" arrow and set "When using this certificate" to "Always Trust"
  7. Close the pop-up and put in an Administrator user/password info.
  8. Close all open Browsers & Keychain you should be good to go after that.

"Your Connection Is Not Private"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.