Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update apple watch software

Unable to check for update on watch. Watch says” An error occured while checking for software update” and the watch app on iphone says “To update the software on you Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iphone.” BTW, it is updated

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 8:11 AM

It is an iPhone Xs running ios 14.8. The error message on the watch says, “Unable to Check for Update, An error occurred while checking for a software update” it then says “ Cancel or Try Again”. The message I get on my watch app on my phone trying to check for software update says, “To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone.” When I go to software updates on my phone it says my software is up to date.

So far I have rebooted both phone and watch, unpaired and paired a couple of times, reset network settings, changed regions and language on phone, turned on low power mode and turned off passcode, none of which have worked.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2021 8:11 AM in response to Community User

It is an iPhone Xs running ios 14.8. The error message on the watch says, “Unable to Check for Update, An error occurred while checking for a software update” it then says “ Cancel or Try Again”. The message I get on my watch app on my phone trying to check for software update says, “To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone.” When I go to software updates on my phone it says my software is up to date.

So far I have rebooted both phone and watch, unpaired and paired a couple of times, reset network settings, changed regions and language on phone, turned on low power mode and turned off passcode, none of which have worked.

Oct 19, 2021 2:00 AM in response to debow

What model of phone is it and what version of ios is it running?

What troubleshooting steps have you tried?.

What errror messages are you receiving?.

Has this watch ever been paired to another phone?

Unable to update apple watch software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.