Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Capture using CMD-Shift-4 Not Working Properly (Bug)

Has anyone else noticed that with the 11.5, 11.6 iOS updates that their partial screen capture (screen grab, screen shot) isn't working properly.

Generally what happens for me is instead of the actual partial screen capture using CMD-Shift-4, I get a Finder window that opens, but no screen capture. I have to click "Cancel" and then use the CMD-Shift-4 a 2nd time in order for me to complete the action. The Finder window remains an issue and opens again.

Are there any fixes for this? I use this function very often, almost daily or more and I'd really love to make it stop and work the way it did prior to the most recent updates. Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 2:54 PM

10 replies

Oct 19, 2021 4:06 PM in response to dcoup

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 19, 2021 5:02 PM in response to dcoup

dcoup wrote:

Options (checked):
Save to: Preview
• Timer: None
• Show Floating Thumbnail
• Remember Last Selection

You're welcome. I see what is apparently going on. First, you have Screenshot set to always open Preview. That's fine if that's what you want. However, an Open File window is opening because you have Preview set to iCloud Drive. Uncheck System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options… > Preview.

That should fix it.

Oct 20, 2021 9:11 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you! I tested your solution to uncheck the Preview from iCloud and it looks good! Much appreciated.

I guess my next question to you about the solution is what does that really change? Are there things that option was doing for me that I will no longer have access to? I don't understand the ultimate value of having preview items in iCloud unless I am interested in seeing PDFs/files that I have open on my iMac visible to me on my iPhone? Otherwise, I feel like I'm missing the point of having Preview in iCloud.

Screen Capture using CMD-Shift-4 Not Working Properly (Bug)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.